cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can anyone help with email settings

fockewulf
Grafter

Can anyone help with email settings

Hi, Got a new PC and tried several email progs but can't get any to access my plusnet email account.
Didn't have any problems with outlook express on the old PC but tried winmail that is on the new PC, a trial of Ms outlook, Thunderbird and the free version of em client but not managed to get anything to work for POP or IMAP and fairly certain I am using all the right settings, also have a gmail account and it works OK with all software.
So wondered if anyone might know where I could be going wrong.
em client looked the most promising as it seems to try lots of different settings if it can't connect with the ones entered.
8 REPLIES 8
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Can anyone help with email settings

Quote from: fockewulf
fairly certain I am using all the right settings,

I suggest you post the settings that you're trying (with username and password removed obviously) in order to resolve this...
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

Have you double checked the settings ? More details here.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Have you looked through the Plusnet help pages ?

You should also check that your settings for your specific account match those shown here - Connection Settings (requires login)
fockewulf
Grafter

Using these settings:
login name    xxxxxxxxxxxxx    - have also tried our broadband username which is just this one with @plusdsl.net added
password      xxxxxxxxxxxx
IMAP Server            imap.plus.net  143
POP3 Server          mail.plus.net
SMTP Server          relay.plus.net    25
email address    xxxxxxxxx@xxxxxxx.plus.com
Outgoing server requires authentication 
Use the same username and password to send and receive email
Think I have been through all the plusnet setup guides etc. but don't see anything I am missing, Details above match what is given in the link to Connection Settings Nibiru posted, though haven't found a way to double-check the password, only option I found was for changing it.
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

...and what error messages do you get?
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

First thing - as you are using a Plusnet connection the outgoing server does not require authentication
Second - login name is username+mailbox name with the password you have set for the mailbox (if you didn't set one it will be the account password)
fockewulf
Grafter

Whenever I open em client it comes up with a box saying  'connecting to (our email address) failed - this could be caused by server unavailability or incorrect settings', whenever I start outlook or then windows email I have to start from scratch again and end with "Send test e-mail message: An unknown error occurred, error code: 0x800c8101"
Tried with and without selecting outgoing server authentication but no difference, is the mailbox name the bit after the @ as tried adding that and outlook would do anything at all with it on, just keeps bringing the account settings box up.
I have just installed 'claws mail' and set it up using the same plusnet settings I have used in all the other email programs I have tried and it has accepted them and is displaying messages, only problem is the program does not have anything going for it in the looks department, the old outlook express looked better.
fockewulf
Grafter

Have installed 'Windows Live Mail' and it connects to Plusnet email and looks OK (to me).