cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I get my archived emails recovered please?

FIXED
bravoecho75
Grafter

Can I get my archived emails recovered please?

deleted in Dec as I don't access the webmail very often.  Just need to see if there was anything I should have read!

Now diligently logging in to check Smiley

12 REPLIES 12
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Re: Can I get my archived emails recovered please?

Fix

Hi @bravoecho75,

If the emails were archived in December, there's a good chance they're now gone.

Having said this, I've submitted the unarchive request to see if anything comes back from it. Typically if there's any emails to come back, they'll be back in around 30 mins, although it could take a bit longer if the mailbox was very large.

I hope this helps.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
bravoecho75
Grafter

Thanks - got some back to August, including the previous "were going to delete your mails" message :).  The rest were just DD payment notifications.

One question - any reason why the delete alert doesn't go to the registered address like the payment alerts do?

Thanks again

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

As far as I'm aware before we archive your mail we'd send email notifications to the relevant mailboxes and the registered email contact address on the account although that may only ring true if we've archived a mailbox that's over quota rather than due to inactivity. 

Could you post up or send me a private message if the email contains account info, with the content of the email you've received to the mailbox so I can investigate further?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
bravoecho75
Grafter

Here we go ... hope this keeps the formatting!

<redacted> is the same string all the way through

--------------------------------------------------------

Subject Important information regarding your email account
From support@plus.netAdd contact
To <redacted>@<redacted>.plus.comAdd contact
Date 2019-12-09 18:52

Username: <redacted>

You are receiving this message as your mailbox has not been accessed since:

2019-03-10 16:11:01

We have therefore archived the contents of the mailbox, please note that new mails will continue to be received.

To stop this from happening going forward you need to access it and collect E-Mail at least once within a 90 day period.

If you would like your email restoring then please contact our support team by raising a ticket using the Help Assistant on our website:

https://portal.plus.net/

We will only keep archived email for a limited period of time, after which it will be permanently deleted.

Kind regards,

Plusnet customer support

https://portal.plus.net/

----------------------------------------------------------------

(btw, note the useless link to raising a ticket using the portal)

Compare this with:

Subject Your bill is ready to view
From Plusnet SupportAdd contact
Sender www-dataAdd contact
To <primary contact email>Add contact, redacted@<redacted>.plus.comAdd contact
Date 2019-09-09 14:31

Your bill is ready to view

Hello <name>, 

Account username: <redacted> 

Your Plusnet bill's now ready to view, and you can log in here to see it. 

<trimmed>

-------------------------------------

So the bill goes to both addresses, the warning only to the internal one (which means it's easy to lose if one doesn't use webmail and assumes all coms will be to the address associated with the account)
Moderator's note by Dick (Strat): Personal information removed from a public forum (to an area that staff can see).
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Cheers for that, I've raised this to the relevant team to advise further. Will let you know when I hear back.

[edit]

It's by design that when we archive a mailbox due to inactivity, we'd only email the mailbox affected.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
bravoecho75
Grafter

"Interesting" design choice then: you're sending a message saying you're going to do something about an apparently inactive email account to that very same account - where it's pretty much guaranteed not to be read.  That's illogical (Captain).

If you want any message to have a chance of being read, it should go to the primary contact address.  If nothing else, it would remind the account holder to log in and check from time to time.

Ah well, at least I have a reminder to myself set now.

Thanks

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I've passed this on to the relevant team as feedback and we'll take it on board, but I can't guarantee a change. If you've got people sending mail to your Plusnet email address you want to read, have you thought of setting up your emails on a mail client? That way your mailbox shouldn't get archived as the mail client would be in regular contact with the server.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
bravoecho75
Grafter

Not enough traffic - only notifications from yourselves, and most of them come to the primary contact anyway.  I'll just have to remember to login regularly to keep it refreshed.

Thanks.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 156

This has been raised before.  The FUP communication and the mailbox not accessed communication are performed at different "levels" by different mechanisms.

The FUP warning is an account level issue so the communication is sent to the account notification email and leaves a footprint on the account's tickets.

The not accessed communication is a mailbox by mailbox message and somewhat unhelpfully the "we will archive" message is sent to the mailbox which is not being accessed … and does not leave a footprint in the account's ticket history.  The SUs have previously requested that this be changed ...

The best solution is to ensure that all mailboxes are accessed regularly and the simplest way of doing this is to have an email client on your PC or phone or tablet access the mailbox alongside the ones you use regularly.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@bravoecho75 If you don't use your Plusnet email address, why not just allow it to 'expire' so to speak? Wink Although I may be missing something and there may be a good reason you'd want to keep it active.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
bravoecho75
Grafter

No good reason - just "Fear Of Missing Out" Smiley

Cheers

BE75

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Ah cool. No problem.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet