cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bounced emails

millthropdave
Hooked

Bounced emails

Emails often don't arrive from a company I communicate with on a daily basis. This started about 6 months ago I think. I thought it was something to do with their end but today I've had the same issue with EE. Who knows if other emails don't arrive. There's no problem when using my gmail alternative.There's also no problem when they reply to an email I've sent ..... it's just sometimes when they initiate a communication.

I'd be grateful if anyone can come up with a solution. I'm using Plusnet email default settings as far as I know (I've changed nothing).

Thanks for any help offered.

I've resorted to the forum as although I eventually found a way of raising a plusnet help ticket (which seems hard work), I've heard nothing and on checking have found that the ticket has been removed. Why .... pass!

13 REPLIES 13
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: Bounced emails

Moderators Note
This topic has been moved from Accounts/Billing to Email.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

There's also no problem when they reply to an email I've sent ..... it's just sometimes when they initiate a communication.

@millthropdave that sounds like they MIGHT be being discarded as spam. Have a look at your spam settings. Login to the member centre, goto 'Manage account' and then 'Manage my Email' . Click the Spam tab and check if your have Discard Obvious Spam set to On. If it is , then set it to Off and review the settings below it to determine what now happens to anything detected as Spam

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

millthropdave
Hooked

morning @MisterW

Thanks for your time and the idea. I changed the setting to off and waited an hour before testing but no joy. EE emails still don't arrive for the problem address and nothing in junk folder. EE emails continue to arrive when I use a gmail address.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

@millthropdave  does the sender get any bounce message ?

I'm not sure how long any change to spam settings take to be applied.

You could try whitelisting the addresses https://www.plus.net/help/email-guides/spam-protection-guide/#approve-block-addresses

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

millthropdave
Hooked

@MisterW suspect for EE failure it'll be impossible to find out from them. As for the company I deal with that regularly have emails not arriving (but gmail always fine), I'll ask. They have their own infrastructure team who looked into this, they couldn't find a reason but I'm not sure if they got any rejection messages. They did check journals etc but nothing they found suggested a solution.

millthropdave
Hooked

@MisterW I thought about whitelisting but I don't think there's a wild card option so I'd have to enter all email addresses rather than just wildcard@ which isn't realistic as there's a large number / constantly changing list of freelancers who send me emails.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

@millthropdave 

A warm welcome to the forums.

Your topic title says "bounced" which implies an assertion that the sender has received a Non-delivery report (NDR).  A NDR should give the reason that the email could not be delivered.  Do the senders have NDRs?

If in the absence of a NDR you infer they have been "bounced" ... we might be barking up the wrong tree.  Issues in the delivery of emails from sender to sender can be "hidden" within the email network until delivery deferrals time out - typically 5 days.

We have seen issues with sender domains causing delivery issues, most notably Gmail, M&S and YouGov.  Recently there was an issues discovered within the BT mail network - see https://community.plus.net/t5/Email/Emails-from-btinternet-com-addresses-not-received/m-p/1728971#M3...

@JW could that scenario apply here?  Would you know if EE uses BT's mail services?

You said "other compaines" - who?

JW
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 24

@Townman 

Without a set of headers, to see the servers that the message has passed through, I'd not like to speculate on any comparisons between the mail platforms. Though if this is from EE themselves, it's possible that they're not using the same platform as BT customers were using to send email to Metronet users.

If there's an example of a sending address, a recipients address, and a date that an email was sent, then someone with the relevant access can take a look to see if there was a rejection due to suspected spam.

Jon W
 Plusnet
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

I would expect that rejection due to suspected SPAM will have caused the sender to receive an NDR.  Really need the OP to determine if the SENDER has received 'bounce' notifications ... which will illuminate what is happening!

millthropdave
Hooked

@Townman first of all thank you for your time.

The setting change that @MisterW suggested seems to have made a difference. Today I've received emails with the [-spam-] prefix added from senders who's emails haven't always arrived so hopefully previously missing emails will now arrive and I can just set them to notspam in Webmail.

It's usually @emperor.works (and also Jira App notification) emails that don't arrive - I've used the term bounced as they know they've not sent successfully. I'll ask how they know this but they have their own infrastructure team who have looked into this so I assume that whatever info they have doesn't help.

I did wonder if it was a timeout issue but with EE yesterday I changed my notification address a few times - the Plusnet emails didn't arrive but the Gmail email arrived almost immediately.

millthropdave
Hooked

@Townman I've just reset my EE notification email back to my Plusnet address - nothing arrived (including nothing in junk) - so set it back again to Gmail and I received notification of address change straight away.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Can you please clarify what you mean?

EE Notification email - do you mean the NDR returned to EE?  If yes, you need to look at the NDR error details on EE and copy them to text so that you can PM them to @JW as he indicated.

millthropdave
Hooked

EE notification email  - if I change the email address that I use for my EE account, EE send me an email notifying me that I'm about to use a new email address and asking me to follow link in email to confirm. I don't think there's any way an EE user would be able to get EE to provide details of any NDR content they have.