cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blocking nuisance emails not working"

ESPINER

Blocking nuisance emails not working"

Hello - I want to block various emails and I have gone through the process of listing them under BLOCKED ADDRESSES - I have listed 3 in all one after the other in the blocked emails box as below -

cac@southbankresearch.com
digest-noreply@quora.com
newsletter@dpreview

I have not used any other characters - but these emails still come through despite me doing this. Can anyone spot what I am doing wrong or missing out etc

Moderator's note by Adie (Dvorak)
5 REPLIES 5
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Re: Blocking Emails

Are you sure you're blocking the correct addresses/domains? The 'from' address, isn't necessarily the same as the envelope or return-path. It's the latter you need to be blacklisting. e.g. in the case of the Quora email, you'll probably see something like this in the headers:

Return-Path: <bounces+1390139-a51e-[REDACTED]@email.quora.com>

In this example you'd be best blocking the domain 'email.quora.com'. You could block the entire address, however the local part is likley to be dynamic and change for the next email sent to you.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Moderators Note.

Posts split into own topic
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
ESPINER

Thanks for getting back to me - however how do I find the return address

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

In whatever email application you are using, you need to look at the message properties / headers.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

@ESPINER Are you using webmail or an email program installed on your computer to read your emails? If the latter which one? We might be able to help you find the headers which contain the "Return path" line.

David