cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blocked from sending email to complain about Spam Emails

Spruance
Grafter

Blocked from sending email to complain about Spam Emails

On 31st December 2012, I subscribed to a well known financial magazine and also created an account on their website to enable me to have full online access. As this was a paid for service with a reputable company, I used my main Plusnet email address. Apart from the magazine and website access, the company also send regular emails on subjects of possible interest, which is all well and good as that is what I have signed up to receive.
However, over the last month or so I have also begun to receive a considerable number of spam emails some of a 'personal' nature but the vast majority being related to financial products, and about the supposed share prospects of one company in particular. I am not opening any of the emails, just viewing the properties and then adding them to blocked senders/blocked domains as appropriate but still they come with another half dozen received today.
Hence, this afterrnoon I resolved to email the company whose magazine/website I subscribed to to ask if the possibility existed that their website had been hacked and customer details stolen, but when I clicked send I received a rejection message stating that my email could not be sent as it appeared to contain spam - how ironic etc. Roll_eyes I reasoned that it might be prudent to remove the word spam from my email - replacing it with 'spurious' but his made no difference as again my message was deemed to be a spam risk. I was finally able to get my message away by manipulating the language in such a way as to fool the mail filters but it seems to make no sense at all that I could not send an email to a company of whom I am a registered customer, using the email address I have registered on my account which is also the one they use to email me.
The Windows Mail default message said that if I was unhappy with the blocked outgoing email that I should report it to my ISP - so here's the report!!! Wink

6 REPLIES 6
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Blocked from sending email to complain about Spam Emails

Nothing to do with Plusnet - Your outgoing mail wasn't blocked by their SMTP server, it was rejected by the receiving server...
Spruance
Grafter

Yes that had crossed my mind but as it happened twice running I didn't want to get a black mark from Plusnet for sending 'dodgy' emails.  Shocked
I have actually just found a useful link on the PN support site showing how to create mail blocking rules so that might just do the trick... http://www.plus.net/support/security/spam/wmail_spam.shtml
pwatson
Rising Star

Actually, having re-read your original post, I may have jumped to the wrong conclusion.
When you say the error message says the email couldn't be sent, what is the full text of the error?  Is it generated by your email client (Windows Mail?), by Plusnet's SMTP server or the recipient's email server?
The guide you link to is how to set up your email client to filter incoming email that has been flagged as spam but then delivered to you. 
Spruance
Grafter

No I think you were right in your original assumption.
I was trying to send out an email to a company to complain about incoming spam. I didn't get an Undeliverable message just an instant rejection (with the unsent email remaining in my Outbox). I don't have the full text but I just remember that it said that the message could not be sent due to possible spam content. So presumably this means that the word spam is being interpreted somewhere along the line as evidence of spam content thus making it impossible to complain about such things. I wonder how manufacturers/retailers of SPiced hAM get on!  Grin
I have now used the PN suggested incoming mail rules to leave on the server any incoming emails which include the named share prospect company which should take care of the vast majority of the recent spam messages.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

A message containing the word spam in the subject line and/or in the message text can be sent using the Plusnet relay servers without problems - I've just sent test messages to check.
Did the message you had problems with have very little text but contain a number of links? Sometimes such messages appear spammy and get blocked by the outbound Cloudmark spam filter appliances. When this happens a message window pops up displaying a code containing around 20 random-seeming letters and numbers - were you shown one of those?
David
ChrisL
Rising Star

Quote from: Spruance
I didn't get an Undeliverable message just an instant rejection (with the unsent email remaining in my Outbox).

Doesn't this suggest that it is your client -- Windows Mail? -- that is stopping you?
Chris