cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blacklisted by Tesco.net?

nickgent

Blacklisted by Tesco.net?

We have used tesco.net for our email since the days of dial-up. A few days ago their SMTP began rejecting all our mail, with the following message:
Server Response: 550 5.7.1 [C18] RBL restriction: Blacklisted by Internal Reputation Service - 80.229.xxx.xxx
Server: 'mail.tesco.net'
I contacted them and they said:  "Due to an increase in spam attacks on our server, certain ISP’s have been temporarily blocked to our server...."  and they say that our ISP will be aware of this.
I don't think the spam is coming from me, BTW Smiley
Any idea how to get this resolved?
Thanks,
Nick
13 REPLIES 13
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Blacklisted by Tesco.net?

Hi, and welcome to the PN forum Smiley
Have you blanked out the IP address because you're running your own mail server?  It's not uncommon for mail servers to reject mail that originates from a consumer ISP address.
Try setting up the server to relay via relay.plus.net and see if that fixes it.
If you're not running your own server, we'll need to see the full IP address to diagnose further as that isn't the first two octets of a PN mail server as far as I'm aware...
nickgent

No - no email server here, just regular desktop mail clients. The IP address it reports is 80.229.158.122 (my fixed IP that I paid PN £5 for Smiley
thanks,
Nick
pwatson
Rising Star

OK, strange...
Does the bounce message also show the email headers?  If so, can you post those with the source and destination email addresses removed?
nickgent

Here's the full message that Windows Live Mail gives us (same on multiple PCs and email addresses, regardless of destination address):
An unknown error has occurred.
Subject 'testing via tesco'
Server Error: 550
Server Response: 550 5.7.1 [C18] RBL restriction: Blacklisted by Internal Reputation Service - 80.229.158.122
Server: 'mail.tesco.net'
Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x800CCC69
Protocol: SMTP
Port: 25
Secure(SSL): No

I tried via relay.plus.net and it worked fine, but I believe that won't work when I'm away from my home broadband, right?
Cheers - and thanks for your help Smiley
Nick
pwatson
Rising Star

Ah, makes sense now
I hadn't twigged that you're sending via mail.tesco.net  I would suspect that they have (now) got the same restriction as Plusnet in that you need to authenticate with their SMTP server in order to send mail from a tesco.net address if you're not using their network.
Try looking at the outgoing email settings in your email client for settings related to SMTP authentication (It'll say something along the lines about using the same details as the incoming details or give you the chance to enter your username and password).  If you've already done this then it does look like Tesco are actively blocking the PN IP range unfortunately.
nickgent

Yeah, I'm sure Tesco have blacklisted plusnet, or a range of plusnet addresses. I do authenticate onto their SMTP, and it works fine outside my house (like at work, where we use TTB).
Tesco are saying it is due to high levels of spam originating from whatever address range they are blocking. I guess there will be no progress unless Tesco tell us (plusnet) what the offending addresses are. I was hoping to find out if this process is underway.  Tesco have told me my ISP is "aware of this"..
Nick
pwatson
Rising Star

See here
Not the first time it's happened by all accounts and I wouldn't believe the comment about PN being aware.  Have you contacted Tesco about the problem as I suspect this is an issue with a 3rd party filtering service that they're using?
nickgent

Yes I was in contact with Tesco - here is their reply in full:
Due to an increase in spam attacks on our server, certain ISP’s have been temporarily blocked to our server, This is normal when a vast amount of spam is sent from a particular server, they will be aware of this and will have taken steps to prevent this Spam abuse, The affected ISP’s will reset this and mail will once again be accepted.
It does suggest the whole ISP has been blocked, not just selected addresses. I would have thought that would get PN's attention, but then perhaps PN doesn't have that many customers (like me) with legacy Tesco email addresses!  The problem is, when you have had an email address since the '90s, its hard to let go of it! My whole family will be up in arms if I don't fix this soon Smiley
nickgent

Ok I have 'fixed' this problem by using relay.plus.net and authenticating onto it, which appears to work from outside plusnet. I remember trying to get this working before, and failing. Not sure if something has changed there.
If plusnet will relay all my emails, for any email address, wherever I am, then problem solved Smiley
EXCEPT that it's plain text authentication and very insecure. I add my voice to the throng asking for secure authentication Smiley
Nick
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

If you are still using port 25 then you might want to change to port 587 since some networks will block outgoing connections on port 25 to all but their own server.
As regards the free text authentication, you can use any mailbox credentials i.e username+mailboxname & mailbox password for authentication, create a mailbox just for authentication with a completely different password to your main account one.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

nickgent

Hi - thanks, great idea!
Cheers,
Nick
chrcoluk
Grafter

looks clean here, not sure how tesco are scoring the ip.
http://rbls.org/80.229.158.122
picbits
Rising Star

Feel free to send me a PM with your Tesco email address and I'll try it from my home hosted email server on a 80.229 ip address.