Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blacklisted as potential source of spam

shermans
Pro
Fixes: 3

Blacklisted as potential source of spam

How do I get any answers out of Plusnet ?  The ticket system has been removed so I cannot raise a ticket, and trying to telephone Plusnet to talk to someone takes longer than Lockdown !   They never, ever answer.

I have two domains which I use for my email address, both are forwarded to Plusnet.  I have just discovered that they are both Blacklisted, as the IP addresses have been identified within a range used by spammers.  Well, it is certainly not me !

I have been told to contact my ISP as they are responsible for my IP addresses.

Well, I have tried, and tried and tried to talk to someone at Plusnet, but I do have a life to lead !  If they spent less on irritating advertisements and more on staff to answer the phone, we might not be in this position.  Can anyone suggest how on earth I can attract the attention of someone from Plusnet so that I can report this issue ?  It is giving me a serious headache.

It is interesting that that someone with whom I regularly communicate also has the same problem.  That person works from home in LEEDS !  Sounds familiar.  That is Yorkshire of course, as all the irritating adverts keep telling us.  What's the betting that the ISP is also based nearby, Sheffield only 40 miles away - and is - you guessed it - also an irritating advertiser !

11 REPLIES 11
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Re: Blacklisted as potential source of spam

Perhaps @Gandalf  may be able to help...    

as for spending money on more staff to answer phones......

My campaign regarding that issue is documented on this

http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,80676.16.html

make a pile of sarnies, and have a big pot of coffee if you want to do something to pass the time while waiting on the phone for an answer  ! ! !>..

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 392

@shermans  is the problem with receiving the forwarded mail 

OR  sending mail from your domain ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Tech Help to Email

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
shermans
Pro
Fixes: 3

It is with sending email through Plusnet from my domain name.  For instance, emails sent to Hotmail addresses get flagged always by the recipient as Spam and go into their spambox which they do not open !  So though they get through, they are never actually opened because of the spam identifier.  I cannot be sure, but I fear the same happens sometimes with Outlook.com which I think is probably the same thing.

That is the problem that I have been aware of until recently when a bona fide company with whom I have been dealing regularly suddenly started to get their emails rejected to me rejected as Spam.  When I checked their domain name with MXLook-up, I discovered that they had been backlisted as potential spammers as their IP was in a range renowned for spamming.

So I thought, out of curiosity, that I would look up my domain on MXLookup, and found that my domain is also blacklisted because my emails of course go out through relay.plus.net.  That is when I started to try to get hold of Plusnet, but to no avail.

So, in answer to your question, it is both Inward and Outward.   But I was aware of the Hotmail / Outlook.com issue and have got round that my sending WhatsApp message to the recipients to say I have sent an email which is probably in their spambox.  Hardly a conventional way to do things, though and not satisfactory.

I just want someone in Plusnet to read what is going on and get in touch with me here, as I cannot raise a ticket any more and I cannot get hold of them on the phone.  What am I supposed to do ?

I really cannot believe that Plusnet apparently scores so highly for customer service - I get better customer service from the Inland Revenue ! 😶

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@shermans  where are your domains hosted ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

idonno
Champion
Fixes: 6

Its one reason I've always used my domain host direct to send and receive emails. Even when I was with Plusnet, it was the same setup - no 3rd party involved i.e. PN.

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Full quote of preceding post removed as per Forum rules.
Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@idonno  exactly, I'm thinking that if @shermans is sending via relay.plus.net, then its very possibly a lack of SPF/DKIM  that's causing the problems

edward50
Dabbler

Sorry, can't help the OP, but I'm hoping to learn something from others on this thread. My email set-up is this: ISP Plusnet; email client MS Outlook 2013 running on Windows 10; incoming server mail.onetel.net.uk (legacy server now belonging to TalkTalk); outgoing server relay.plus.net
This setup has been stable and trouble-free since TalkTalk for several years until now. A week ago, emails to my wife's onetel email address (also using the above, only with a newer version of MS Outlook) started bouncing back. Here is an example with redactions for privacy:

Reporting-MTA: dns; avasout01 [84.93.230.227]
Received-From-MTA: dns; xxxPC [xx.x.xx.xxx]
Arrival-Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2021 21:55:02 +0100

Final-recipient: rfc822; xxxxxxx@onetel.com
Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 552 5.2.0 W3ZZl56oWJyvKW3aIlGCsq DMARC Verification Failed (TT602)

Last-attempt-Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2021 21:55:03 +0100

I have also had emails bounce back from a virginmedia address, and from myself. This is just a personal email account, no business use involved. I have checked a blacklist checker and my IP is flagged up on dnsbl.spfbl.net and dnsbl.sorbs.net, but I don't know if this is why this problem has occurred.

Any ideas, anybody? The only thing I can think of is that my listing is connected with my email address having been pwned some time back, being compromised in three separate data breaches.

Thank you.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@edward50  you would be better starting your own thread but, in a nutshell, you need to send mail via the onetel server. The plusnet server , relay.plus.net will not be on an authorised list for a onetel domain

edward50
Dabbler

Sorry for any breach of etiquette, MisterW; I thought that my problem was so similar to that of the OP that the thread offered an easy way to reach some informed members. I'll repost under a new title.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

No problem.