cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blacklist appears to allow email addresses through ...

kaspencer
Rising Star

Blacklist appears to allow email addresses through ...

Hello ...
... I recently decided to add a load of addresses and domains to the Black List because I was getting persistent useless emails from them. However, the emails continue to come through (via my POP3 desktop email client). Why?
Also, why not add an option to the pull down list in the webmail client "Add to Black List and delete". Better still, provide a little black figure against the sender email address (not grey, so as not to confuse the action with the existing grey figure for "Add to address book"). Then we could add addresses to the Black List without having to login to the Portal. My NDO email account features both of these features - keep up, PlusNet!
Here's hoping for some positive responses.
Thanks
Kenneth Spencer
9 REPLIES 9
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Blacklist appears to allow email addresses through ...

Regarding blacklisting does this apply
"White/Blacklist filtering does not apply to catch-all mailboxes"
In my case I have miltiple email addresses which I use for buying things which all come in via the catchall
When I want to block one I use the redirect to blackhole option
kaspencer
Rising Star

Thanks for that Jim ...
... yes - I think I misunderstood the SPAM-Catchall comment. So basically, if I have a Catchall email address that's going to get all the unwanted email anyway. Hmmm - I'll have to think about that.
Ken
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Not quite
It gets all the email for which there isn't a defined mailbox
kaspencer
Rising Star

Yes, I understand.
But I don't think I can have what I want: ideally, I want to be able to ditch all the emails/domains in my Black List, but still catch the other stuff, whether badly addressed or marked as SPAM,  in my Catchall address/mailbox.
Re.: Your mention of "redirect to blackhole": Do you meant I can take the email address of an unwanted correspondent (like persistent attempts top sell me something I'll never want) and Blackhole that address automatically? If so can you give me a hint as to where I find that action?
Thanks, and all the best
Ken
Oldjim
Resting Legend

In which case you need to do as I suggested in my first reply and set up redirects to a black hole
kaspencer
Rising Star

Thanks again, JIm ...
... I was editing my last message when you sent your last reply.
I've had a look and I realise that I'd end up Blackholing legitimate emails as there isn't a single address to which all the unwanted emails might arrive - there are valid and wanted emails into all my addresses/aliases.

I think I would need to have a facility where I can enter a rogue address from incoming emails and have that Blackoled regardless of the Catchall settings.
Thanks for the help ...
Ken
kaspencer
Rising Star

JIm,
May I beg your indulgence just a little longer, to check whether I really do understand the mutual interactions between a BlackList, Catchall addresses and Blackholing.
1. Although "Mail from senders in the Blocked list will always (my emphasis) be deleted" is stated, this is not always true: e.g. for a Catchall address;
2. Blackholing an email address/Alias results in the loss of all emails to it, whether or not on the Black List;
3. So if you want a Catchall address you cannot use the Black List facility, except possibly for emails that are not unwanted and Black Listed but are addressed to a mailbox which exists but is not a Catchall address.
This leads to one more question: If I create a mailbox that is NOT a Catchall (but do NOT assign the Blackhole option) and one that IS a Catchall, and create a Black List, and redirect email from the Catchall to the non-Catchall, will the Blacklist rule be applied before redirection to mail hitting the non-Catchall address, thus only wanted mail being redirected?
Thaks again for your help ...
Ken
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

Black-listing and Black-holing are very different!
Black-listing is related to the source / sender address and blocks just that sender / domain
Black-holing is related to the destination / recipient address and ditches all senders' emails to that address
The only solution to this issue is to switch off the catch all - senders will then need to get your email address correct.
One technique I find useful is to give every organisation I deal with a unique email address - e.g. Plusnet@mydomain.co.uk - that way I can determine who has shared the assigned email address (if BT were to send to the example email address I'd know where the details came from) and if I no longer wanted to hear from that organisation I can black hole the address.  I have caught out Parkers (car prices guide), Virgin Rail / First Rail Group / Train-line the latter being responsible for merging my data relating to the two distinct Train Operating Companies... Which I took to the ICO.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

kaspencer
Rising Star

Thanks for the reply, Townman.
I am completely happy with my understamding of both Blackholing and Black Listing. It is the Interaction between them which seems different from that which applies on other ISPs with whom I have email accounts.
Yes, I too use your technique of giving individual suppliers a unique mailbox on one of my domains. And like you I have found email addresses spillage, especially from the daily/weekly discount offer sites, and dslwarehouse.
If I were to
1. set my main address, currently Catchall, as non-Catchall address
2. create a new address and mark it as Catchall
3. redirect emails from the new Catchall address to my main address,
would BlackListed email disposal occur on redirected receipt at my main, non-Catchall address?
If so this might solve my problem!
Thanks again,
Ken