Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT email forwarding to Plusnet mail

FIXED
marshallcolman
Hooked

BT email forwarding to Plusnet mail

I have a BT domain marshallcolman.com which provides an email address and I wish to forward emails to my @marshallcolman.plus.com webmail. The BT domain has been set up to redirect to @marshallcolman.plus.com but emails are not arriving. BT tell me they have done all they can and that I should sort it out with Plusnet. 

Further info: the BT domain marshallcolman.com points to my Shopify website but as Shopify don't offer an email service, @marshallcolman.com has to be forwarded to @marshallcolman.plus.com. Previously when my website was hosted elsewhere (Deeper by Design) they had webmail that I could forward @marshallcolman.com to @marshallcolman.plus.com and it worked.

I don't see anything in my Plusnet webmail that can make any adjustment to receive mail from another address.

Advice, please.

Thanks.

Marshall

Marshall

12 REPLIES 12
marshallcolman
Hooked

Re: BT email forwarding to Plusnet mail

In case it helps, this is the message people get when they try to mail to @marshallcolman.com :-

DNS Error: 15963974 DNS type 'mx' lookup of marshallcolman.com responded with code NOERROR 15963974 DNS type 'aaaa' lookup of mx.marshallcolman.com.cust.a.hostedemail.com. responded with code NXDOMAIN 15963974 DNS type 'a' lookup of mx.marshallcolman.com.cust.a.hostedemail.com. responded with code NXDOMAIN

Marshall

marshallcolman
Hooked

I ran a mailserver check and got this result:
--------------------------
 Mail Server mx.marshallcolman.com.cust.a.hostedemail.com
  • Level trace

MX record value is a domain.

• Level trace

MX record value is not an alias (CNAME).

• Level error

MX record domain mx.marshallcolman.com.cust.a.hostedemail.com can not be resolved an IP address.

This level of error is described as follows:

Error level – a serious error has been revealed in the configuration, it affects the operation of the target mail server or its users. Hurry up and fix it!

----------------------------

I'm afraid I don't understand this and as a result I have no idea how to fix it.

Advice, please.

Marshall

spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Welcome to the Plusnet Community forums. Smiley

Plusnet Webmail is an email client which displays the contents of the mailbox you log into; you define your mailboxes, redirects and aliases in Manage My Mail in the Member Centre. Log in at https://www.plus.net/index_portal.html then click Email settings on the left or go to https://www.plus.net/my.html?action=myemail. Click Manage My Mail.

Have you set up a mailbox or alias (the part of the address preceding the @ sign) for the email address you are trying to redirect to.

David
marshallcolman
Hooked

Hi David

I'm not sure that that would help because the issue is not the part of the address preceding the @ sign but the part of the address after it

Marshall

pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

I'm no expert, but if I'm reading the results of your checks correctly, the mx record (the record in the DNS that says where the mail server is for sending mail to for the domain) is set to mx.marshallcolman.com.cust.a.hostedemail.com, which in itself could be ok, but mx.marshallcolman.com.cust.a.hostedemail.com doesn't have an A record (which is the record in DNS that says what the IP Address is for the domain).

I think this is failing before it gets to the BT Servers.  I don't think I've come across hostedemail.com before, but I don't think BT use them.

At a guess I'd think you have 2 options:

1. Get in touch with hostedemail.com (if they are known to you) and see what needs changing with them to get it working.  It may be that you can forward the mail directly from them, cutting out BT altogether.
  2. Find out from BT what the mx record should be for the mail to reach them, and then change the DNS on your domain to that

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

For a domain to receive email it needs an MX record that tells the Internet where to direct messages.
Your domain has an MX record pointing to mx.marshallcolman.com.cust.a.hostedemail.com
The problem is, that domain does not resolve to anything i.e. it's like trying to visit a web address that doesn't exist.
The responsibility lies with the host of the domain (BT?) That said, you cannot point a domain to your Plusnet account using DNS records. You would need to use an email forwarding facility provided by the domain host. If they don't provide one, then you're out of luck and would need to move to a hosting provider that does.
The other option is to host the domain with Plusnet, however that's not something that's typically supported these days, and is only available to a small volume of customers with legacy accounts.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

To expand a little on what Bob’s said regarding moving your domain to us, if your account was created before the end of 2017(There’s a precise date I can’t recall off the top of my head) we can transfer your domain in, becoming the host and registrar at no cost.
Let me know if you want or need any more details and I’ll find out for you when I’m back in the office tomorrow.
From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
marshallcolman
Hooked

Thanks, Gandalf.

It does seem like the best option for me might be to transfer my domain from BT to Plusnet. My Plusnet account was set up before 2017.

BT Domains have told me they cannot get emails sent to my domain @marshallcolman.com into my Plusnet webmail. I have spent a long time in correspondence with them, passing on the information kindly provided to me on this forum, but in the end they have said they just can't do it. This is what they say:

"The MX record that is associated with marshallcolman.com is the same format that is used for any of our domains that are using our email forwarding service. mx.yourdomain.cust.a.hostedemail.com As this is not a webmail service there is no mailbox to log into and no other records such as CNames are used. We do apologize, we do not have any other alternative MX records to use."

I am not a techie and I have no idea what this means, but it seems to me that they are not competent. I am left with emails sent to me @marshallcolman.com just going into thin air. So I'm finished with BT.

If I do transfer my domain, I have to be sure that it will still point to my Shopify website - I assume that it will do so if the Nameservers are left as they are.

Will you be able to ensure that mails to @marshallcolman.com redirect into my Plusnet webmail @marshallcolman.plus.com?

I see from WHOIS that the domain prohibits transfer. How do I deal with that?

Thanks for your help

Marshall

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Not entirely sure to be honest to the answers to your questions so I've gone to our products guys for advice and I'll let you know when I hear back which should hopefully be within a week.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi Marshall.

I've been discussing this with one of my colleagues from our products team.

Being open and transparent we'd like to point out that our mail service hasn't been performing at its best for around two years - ref  this thread and while I don't want to discourage you in moving your domain to us, it may be something to factor in your decision.

If I do transfer my domain, I have to be sure that it will still point to my Shopify website - I assume that it will do so if the Nameservers are left as they are.

Answering the most important question first I think as you've mentioned that you'll want your domain pointing to your website. Unfortunately due to the way our systems works you'll need to use our nameservers which can't be changed.

Let me know if you'd still like to go ahead and I'll try to find the answers to your question below.

Will you be able to ensure that mails to @marshallcolman.com redirect into my Plusnet webmail @marshallcolman.plus.com?

see from WHOIS that the domain prohibits transfer. How do I deal with that?

We can't see this from our side so it sounds like it may be something for the current registrar of your domain to look into I'm afraid.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
marshallcolman
Hooked

Thanks for that helpful reply. I think in the circumstances that transferring my domain to Plusnet is not the best solution to my problems, but I appreciate the information.

Marshall

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Fix

No worries Marshall.

Sorry that we can't be of greater help to you here, but let us know if you do need any further assistance.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet