cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Authenticated SMTP - but only if you use Plusnet email address?

Q_
Dabbler

Authenticated SMTP - but only if you use Plusnet email address?

Just switched my broadband from BT to Plusnet - all went smoothly apart from getting my email working properly.
I work from home and my incoming email comes from my work email account/hosting provider and this still works fine as I've not changed any settings. When I had BT Broadband all my devices (laptop, phone, ipad) were setup the same, all sending email via BT's authenticated SMTP. So no matter what network I was using, be it home WiFi, coffee shop or hotel WiFi, or 3G on my mobile, I could send email without any problems.
Now I'm on Plusnet broadband, I can send when I'm on my home WiFi, but the authenticated SMTP simply won't work on any network (including home WiFi).
Am I right in thinking that Plusnet authenticated SMTP only works if you receive AND send email, via a Plusnet supplied email address?
3 REPLIES 3
itsme
Grafter

Re: Authenticated SMTP - but only if you use Plusnet email address?

Are you using the correct username and password? These are the username and password that you use to log on the default email account using Webmail https://webmail.plus.net/
Q_
Dabbler

Hi itsme, thanks for responding. I've tried all the login details I have been sent by Plusnet and can't gain access to the Webmail.
dick:quote
Q_
Dabbler

Hi itsme.
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I setup a plusnet webmail account, which I'll never use, but this allows me to use Authenticated SMTP in exactly the way I want to  Smiley