cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Attempting to manage folders. Server Error

prof1411

Attempting to manage folders. Server Error

Hi , my first post here. I have been notified again that my mail is around 1 gb. I am trying to manage the folders but keep getting a server error whenever I try to get the size of my inbox folder. Basic mail will not open my inbox with just the ever decreasing circle spinning. Chat is not available and there is a long wait on the phone lines. Can anyone offer any advice as to why this is happening. The only time I use Webmail is when trying to manage the folders and this happens every time. I use Outlook 2016, which is set to auto archive, so all I need to do is get the webmail to match the dates.

3 REPLIES 3
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: Attempting to manage folders. Server Error

Welcome to the Community forums. Smiley

Possibly webmail is failing to process your Inbox because of its size. However you should be able to get the folder sizes using Outlook 2016.

The process you need to follow is described in article https://support.office.com/en-us/article/What-s-the-size-of-my-mailbox-C76C6AE0-D07F-45DA-8D91-09361...

The "mail view" they refer to is probably the one you always have open which shows accounts on the left and messages centre and on the right.

I'm not sure what you mean by "match the dates", do you need more information than the Outlook 2016 displays show?

David
prof1411

Hi, thanks for the reply. What I meant about matching the dates is that I auto archive everything on outlook over a certain age. However because I can't get to it on webmail, what I usually do is raise a ticket and ask PN to delete everything from the date of my auto archive at the time. I have compacted the email on webmail but because I cant look at the size of the boxes I cant tell what effect it had. I eventually got through to support to be met by someone that told me basically that they can't help and I have to do it on webmail. Back to the beginning of the circle then. What this means in practice is all my email will be deleted. The last time they did that I got them all back twice so was back to having a mailbox twice the size of the one I started with. Having explained all this to him about 5 times he eventually agreed to put a request in to do what I asked in the first place.

This whole process is going to go on ad infinitum now because of the no tickets policy.

I don't have an issue with the boxes on Outlook as they are set up to archive. I guess they just don't correspond on the PN servers

spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Having to ask Plusnet support to delete old messages for you after you've auto archived them suggests to me you have Outlook 2016 incorrectly configured. I would expect it to be set to delete messages from the server after it has archived them to a folder (which I assume is local to your PC).

Is Outlook 2016 collecting messages using IMAP or via POP3 - then leaving copies on the server for ever?

David