cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archived mailbox? Request for it to be unarchived here!

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Re: Archived mailbox? Request for it to be unarchived here!

Thanks for getting back to us @routem4.

If we archive your mail, you would receive warning of this. It either happens if there has been no activity in quite a while (which doesn't look to have happened as you have mail still from 2018) or due to you exceeding the storage limit. You would receive warning in both these circumstances and as mentioned, we aren't able to see anything to suggest we have archived that mail or deleted it.

If it has been downloaded to another location, this would be something that's done your side and not ours. As Adam mentioned, if you have the email set up on a mail client on a device as a POP3 account, the mail may have been downloaded to that device. We are not saying this has happened, just a suggestion which could explain it.

I can see a task was previously raised to our Net Ops team but this was rejected. I will raise a new request for you to see if there's anything we can do but as mentioned before, it is quite unlikely that our team may be able to get a snapshot for mail from 2017. Once I receive a response on the task, I will be sure to let you know.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
routem4
Hooked

Thank you Lauren.

You may have noticed that this is causing me considerable stress. 2 messages are pivotal to a court case and could alter the result.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,606

Thanks for getting back to us @routem4

We absolutely appreciate this, but I'm afraid we wouldn't be able to provide you with something we don't have. 

From what I can see you've just lost your emails from 2017 but nothing later which suggests we haven't recently archived your mailbox, and as we only a keep a temporary backup of your emails on a 7 day rotation, it is highly unlikely we'll have these. If we do, we'll drop them down but I'd just like to set some expectations. 

Really sorry this isn't the answer you're looking for though. Sad

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
TheMotherShip1

I hope I'm doing this right! My email has been archived and I request it to be unarchived, please. Both email addresses. One starting hilary and one starting stephen. I'd be very grateful for any help with this minefield. Some of us are entirely IT illiterate!

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hi @TheMotherShip1,

Not to worry, you've posted in the right thread Smiley I've raised the request on your behalf and will let you know once it's been picked up by the relevant team.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hey @TheMotherShip1

I'm happy to say that this request has been picked up and completed! If there's anything else we can assist with then please let us know and we'll be happy to help out Smiley

Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
sutcliff

I have an email inbox that has been archived.  Can you please un-archive it?

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hey @sutcliff,

I can see that you've been in touch with our Support Team over the phone and that they've picked this request up already. If there are any issues then please give us a shout on here and we'll be happy to pick this back up with you Smiley

Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
BrigitteW
Hooked

Hi,

This seemed the most logical place to request un-archiving of my e-mail, not sure how far back you can go but this year is fine or part thereof. I am 87 and for the most part not technical at all and e-mails have taken a back seat for last year or so.

Thanks in advance for any help.

adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

Hello @BrigitteW

Thanks a lot for getting in touch , I'll be more than happy to help here. Just before I raise the task to get your mailbox unarchived, it appears that another provider are now taking over your broadband service on 29/12/2021. Once they do, the account will get closed down, including your Plusnet email.

Are you wanting us to re-activate the account as mail only?

Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds
BrigitteW
Hooked

Hi,

Thank you for getting back to me, there will be no need to re-activate the account as mail only.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 166

To be realistic, if you want to recover what has been archived you should ask that the email service be retained until you have recovered (and moved) any email history you wish to retain.

Archive restoration can at the best of times take 3+ days and this is the middle of the Christmas - NY holiday window. That leaves very little time for restoration and back up prior to 29th December.

Changing to mail only would ensure that you continue to have access to the mails presently archived. You can after you have secured your history request that the email account be fully destroyed. Thank trust that all third party services using your Plusnet email address have been notified of an alternative address?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

BrigitteW
Hooked

Hi,

The message from Townman made a lot of sense and shows I had not thought this through enough.

I would therefore like the accounbt to be re-activated as mail only, thank you.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Management of expectations … down grade to email only, getting email working again and then contend restored can take 3-5 days. During part of that time, emails sent to your address might be returned to the sender undelivered.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

@BrigitteW wrote:

Hi,

I would therefore like the account to be re-activated as mail only, thank you.

Hi @BrigitteW,

I would not rely on a request being posted here to ensure that your account is marked for email retention.  I would recommend telephoning support, take the "I am thinking of leaving" option and ask them to mark the account for email retention.  This guide might be of help... (especially if you are advised that you cannot retain an email service)

Email only accounts

When your account is cancelled, any additional services you have such as email, web-space, cgi-service, etc. will stop working. If you want to retain your email service after your account is closed, you must advise Plusnet before the account is closed. There used to be a charge for email only accounts, but they are now free of charge.

Resurrecting an account as email only requires manual intervention from both yourself and Plusnet. The initial stage in account resurrection gets the default email address restored. You then need to setup any secondary Plusnet email address(es) yourself, at which point you'll be able to once again send and receive emails from those addresses.

If you have secondary email address(es), after you have recreated those email addresses, you will need to ask that their contents are restored by updating the existing thread or try posting on the generic email restore topic. Please note that these backups are kept for 30 days only.

The process should go something like this...

1. Prior to your account being closed, you must tell Plusnet that after your account is closed you wish to retain the account as email only - contact the Customer Options Team - agents receive few requests for this, so if there are any doubts refer the agent to KBMS article #3349
  2. You need to make a note of all of your Plusnet email address(es) by going to manage my mail at https://plus.net/email
  3. Your account is terminated
  4. Plusnet resurrect the account as email only
  5. Plusnet will restore the default mailbox - you might need to change the name before the @ symbol to what you had before
  6. You recreate any secondary email address(es) and then request that their contents are restored
  7. Plusnet restore the secondary mailbox(es) content

Everything should then work as it did previously, however please note that emails sent to the email address(es) between the account being closed and the email addresses being recreated might...

1. Be returned to the sender as un-routable (no such domain)
  2. Be returned to the sender as undelivered (no such addressee)
  3. All be delivered to the default mailbox if catch-all is enabled

PS: You might wish to enable the CATCHALL (if it is not enabled) prior to the account being closed.  Thereby on resurrection, I believe that CATCHALL will be active, so no mail sent to secondary email addresses will be lost, between resurrection and you recreating those email addresses.