cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archived mailbox? Request for it to be unarchived here!

tomrup

Re: Archived mailbox? Request for it to be unarchived here!

Thanks for the advice Townman. Of course I realise that other hosts with more generous allowances will charge for this. The price is worth the extra space I'll get and the removal of the need to nag members of my family to prune their mailboxes.

The impression I get is that Plusnet really don't want to be involved in the hosting business at all any more, but continue maintaining the service without any intention of upgrading. It's in their interests to help customers to find and move to more suitable hosts if they want to eliminate the support overheads that hosting must bring. Your guide is a great start - when you say raise a support ticket - is that where I ask for an EPP code?

"It would be rare for users to have their own domain name but not understand domain name management." I, like quite a few other plusnet customers, have been with them for so long that I

1) got the domain for free as part of my original deal with the ISP that Plusnet subsequently acquired

2) have never needed to know anything about DNS etc as Plusnet (or their predecessor) did it all

I'm sure I'm not the only one, and apologise for my appalling technical ignorance. 😉 

stuck
Rising Star

Please unarchive my archived mailbox, the one that begins 'sk'.

Thanks,

stuck

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi Stuck, for some reason I'm having issues being able to load a view of the mailboxes on your account. Can you PM me with the name of the mailbox in question please? - Adam

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
stuck
Rising Star

Hi Adam,

PM sent as requested.

stuck

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Received thanks, I've raised a task with our net ops team to get the mailbox unarchived for you. I've added specifics to a support ticket on your account here: https://www.plus.net/wizard/?p=view_question&id=211644303 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
stuck
Rising Star

Umm, that link gives me an error but the link in the email that went to my main mailbox does work so I think on balance things are OK.

Meanwhile, thank you for picking up my request so quickly.

stuck

Thrall
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 23

@tomrup wrote:

Your guide is a great start - when you say raise a support ticket - is that where I ask for an EPP code?

I don't think you can raise a support ticket anymore, you may have to call 0800 432 0200.

If you have a .com domain you'll ask Plusnet for an EPP code to give to your new registrar, but if you have a .co.uk domain you'd need to give Plusnet the IPSTAG of your new registrar and they'll transfer the domain to them.

After that it's just a case of changing the name-servers to your new host (normally the same provider as the registrar) 

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

@tomrup wrote:

Thanks for the advice Townman. Of course I realise that other hosts with more generous allowances will charge for this. The price is worth the extra space I'll get and the removal of the need to nag members of my family to prune their mailboxes.

The impression I get is that Plusnet really don't want to be involved in the hosting business at all any more, but continue maintaining the service without any intention of upgrading. It's in their interests to help customers to find and move to more suitable hosts if they want to eliminate the support overheads that hosting must bring. Your guide is a great start - when you say raise a support ticket - is that where I ask for an EPP code?

"It would be rare for users to have their own domain name but not understand domain name management." I, like quite a few other plusnet customers, have been with them for so long that I

1) got the domain for free as part of my original deal with the ISP that Plusnet subsequently acquired

2) have never needed to know anything about DNS etc as Plusnet (or their predecessor) did it all

I'm sure I'm not the only one, and apologise for my appalling technical ignorance. 😉 

Hi Tom,

There are other approaches to managing the space problem, other than simple deletion.  One can archive content to local email folders.

Sorry had not intended to suggest technical ignorance, but many users with their own domain names tend to be aware of how they are managed.

@Thrall has provided good advice, the EPP code is not required for *.uk domains - one initiates the transfer as per my original post and then requests the IP tags to be changed.  Oh dam!!  I see that the final remnants of being able to raise support tickets have been close down very recently.  I'll raise an issue for this area in the SU space.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

kellygarf
Hooked

Hi

My emails have gone again. Can you look into this please and have them restored? Also, have you any idea why this is happening? I think this is the 3rd time this has happened. Is there anything I need to change at my end?

Many thanks

stuck
Rising Star

Can you tell me how long before this is actioned?

I mean am I expecting too much when nothing's happened yet, 11 days on?

stuck

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

@kellygarf wrote:

My emails have gone again. ... have you any idea why this is happening? I think this is the 3rd time this has happened. Is there anything I need to change at my end?

That very much depends on why they have disappeared.  This topic is related to Plusnet having archived them for one of two reasons - you have exceeded the fair usage [storage] policy (FUP) or you have not accessed the mailbox for 90 days.  If because of FUP, you will find a closed ticket on your account - see the link below.

If this if due to exceeding the FUP you will have been sent weeks of warning emails.  Are you monitoring the notification email address you set on your account's contact details?  As for what can you do...

Culling mailbox contents

If you need to clean out your mailbox, may be because it is over quota, then as well as tidying up the inbox, you need to also look at the SENT ITEMS folder and then afterwards clear out the TRASH folder. However if using webmail, some times its performance can make this process very tedious, particularly if the delete action (actually a move to the trash folder) fails.

If you primarily want to delete emails, you can mitigate delete performance issues by doing an "immediate" delete (rather than a move to trash for deletion later) by holding down the SHIFT key when pressing the DEL key. This works in both webmail and most PC based email clients. WARNING SHIFT+DEL is not recoverable so be certain absolutely, that you do not need the email before pressing the buttons!

Alternatively, in webmail (Round Cube) Settings -> Server Settings there are some options worth exploring controlling how deletes are performed...

1. Flag the message for deletion instead of delete
  2. If moving messages to "Deleted Items" fails, permanently delete them
  3. Compact Inbox on logout

Setting these options and using them together will avoid the over heads of moving items to the trash folder when you wish to delete them. They will simply be greyed out and remain in the inbox list. After logging out of webmail, they will then be removed from the mailbox.

Whilst this might be highly proficient, it needs to be used with care, for when they are gone, they are gone. Note also that Plusnet house-keeping clears out the trash folder weekly.

If they have not disappeared due to Plusnet archiving activity, then do you have an email client configured as POP3?  A POP3 client will remove content from the server.  There is a possibility that your email account has been compromised and some other party has removed your emails.  You can mitigate against that by changing the password on your email account.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

kellygarf
Hooked

Hello

It does look like I missed seeing the messages saying I had exceeded my email storage.  Can you arrange for my emails to be unarchived and restored and I will then, immediately, go through and delete the ones I no longer need to get my account substantially below the 1GB limit.

Many thanks

Bombcircle

Thanks. Are you also able to advise on how long it will take to unarchive the mailbox? 3 weeks and counting.....

Rincewind_
Dabbler

Hi @kellygarf 

I have placed another request to have your emails unarchived. Once this has completed please remove any unwanted / old emails. If the mailbox is still over capacity after 7 days  they will be automatically archived again. 

Thanks

Rincewind_
Dabbler

Hi @Bombcircle 

I have raised a request for your mailbox to be restored. Sorry for the delay. 

Thanks.