cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archived mailbox? Request for it to be unarchived here!

Rincewind_
Dabbler

Re: Archived mailbox? Request for it to be unarchived here!

Hi @MWTCHERRY ,

I have sent you a PM regarding your request. 

Thanks

Bombcircle

Hi. Please unarchive the webmail mailbox beginning with em. I have been trying to reduce the size of the mailbox for weeks but it keeps timing out. If you have any advice on this, please help me! Thanks.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Hi @Bombcircle 

A warm welcome to the forums.  A staff member should pick up your request directly.  In the meantime, in answer to your generic question...

Slow webmail

There is a known gremlin in the third party Round Cube webmail program which can cause delays in listing emails - see the end user mitigation post at the top of the Email board here. It somewhat appears that any sorting or filtering on a large mailbox cripples the performance of RC webmail, where as the 'basic' webmail program (Squirrel Mail) is not affected. Using Squirrel Mail can be an effective way of accessing a mail box which is running slow with RC.

There is no necessity to restrict your access to your Plusnet email via the Plusnet Webmail interface. Virtually every IT device comes with an in-built email program which can be configured to access your Plusnet email service. See the setting up an email client guide.

Some have found logging into their mailbox using this third party webmail client - https://mail2web.com helpful in clearing out clutter from their mailboxes.

Culling mailbox contents

If you need to clean out your mailbox, may be because it is over quota, then as well as tidying up the inbox, you need to also look at the SENT ITEMS folder and then afterwards clear out the TRASH folder. However some times webmail performance can make this process very tedious, particularly if the delete action (actually a move to the trash folder) fails.

If you primarily want to delete emails, you can mitigate delete performance issues by doing an "immediate" delete (rather than a move to trash for deletion later) by holding down the SHIFT key when pressing the DEL key. This works in both webmail and most PC based email clients. WARNING SHIFT+DEL is not recoverable so be certain absolutely, that you do not need the email before pressing the buttons!

Alternatively, in webmail (Round Cube) Settings -> Server Settings there are some options worth exploring controlling how deletes are performed...

1. Flag the message for deletion instead of delete
  2. If moving messages to "Deleted Items" fails, permanently delete them
  3. Compact Inbox on logout

Setting these options and using them together will avoid the over heads of moving items to the trash folder when you wish to delete them. They will simply be greyed out and remain in the inbox list. After logging out of webmail, they will then be removed from the mailbox.

Whilst this might be highly proficient, it needs to be used with care, for when they are gone, they are gone. Note also that Plusnet house-keeping clears out the trash folder weekly.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

LoneBee
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Hi,

I have had an email from you saying that one of my mailboxes has been archived at the same time all the emails disappeared from that mailbox, including emails that had been received today. I followed the link to reply to the email but the link just took me to the home page and there didn't seem to be any sort of messaging facility. I tried the contact us but the chat is offline and it was recommended that I message via twitter, which I have done.

I urgently need to restore the recent emails (the mailbox is connected to my voluntary work). I have seen this thread and see that it may be possible to restore by posting here so fingers crossed. Any assistance/reassurance would be gratefully received. I used the Outlook archive facility when I received the earlier email about mailbox sizes and had assumed that woud have resolved the problem.

BigWigg

Evening

Is there a chance my archived mailbox can be temporarily restored so that I can retrieve important emails - after I've done that I'll delete the lot then start again, carefully keeping an eye on it this time!

Thanks

LoneBee
Rising Star

Mine were restored after I private messaged Plusnet Help via Twitter (@plusnethelp). You will need to provide the account name and mailbox name. I received a response via email and twitter message after which emails were restored within 24hours. They will give you 7 days to manage emails to reduce mailbox size.

I hope that helps.

smee1978

Please can I also request that my email is temporarily un-archived for  a few days.  I need the messages from my mailbox beginning richard@*

I previously tried to download the large messages from the webmail page, but it kept timing out and I eventually ran out of time to clear out my over-limit inbox.  I will try using Thunderbird or similar this time round.

I tried calling customer service yesterday to get the account restored, but they seemed to misunderstand my request and instead sent me a link to a guide on how to set up my phone for IMAP access in order to download missing emails.

EmmaC

Hello,

Please can you help me?

My mailbox is too big and has been archived. Please could this be un-archived, so I can delete selected mail? I am desperate for this to be fixed, as the emails have disappeared and I need to access some of them for a meeting in the morning.

Sorry I have not deleted enough emails so far, but I'm a doctor working in the NHS and haven't had time to sit down long enough to go through them.

Please can you help me? I'm desperate to get the emails un-archived. I think the mailbox is called Maildir (but I'm a bit of an IT numpty and can't be sure!). My email starts emma@emmaco..... and my username for that webmail account begins emmacou.....

Thank you so much for your help,

Emma

Many thanks for your help

ang2709

I have been trying for weeks to delete some of my emails but it is a slow and unweildy process.  Whilst working from home today  I logged in to my own email and saw that the whole lot had gone.  I assume that Plusnet had archived it. 

As this is our business email, and we try to run a paperless operation, this is a devestating loss.  Please can you restore my email urgently as this is impactful to our business. 

I thought that this could be requested by phone but it seems that this is not the case.  It is a very complicated way to try and rectify the situation and was only by chance that I discovered that you had to do it through the Forum.

Can I please request your urgent attention to this matter

Angela Whiteman  

LoneBee
Rising Star

Hi,

I am not sure why I am receiving this as I am another customer who had a similar problem. I have to say I think PlusNet’s policy here is pretty awful and I may try and raise it elsewhere. 

I did get my emails restored after I private messaged Plusnet Help via Twitter (@plusnethelp) sonI would recommend giving it a try. You will need to provide your account name and mailbox name. I received a response via email and twitter message after which emails were restored within 24hours. They will give you 7 days to manage emails to reduce mailbox size.

I hope that helps. 

LoneBee
Rising Star

Hi,

For some reason these messages are coming through to me, but I am another customer and recently had a similar problem with my emails being archived. I have to say I think PlusNet’s policy here is pretty drastic and disproportionate and I will try and raise it elsewhere. 

I did eventually get my emails restored by I private messaging Plusnet Help via Twitter (@plusnethelp) so it may be an idea to Try that route. You will need to provide your account name and mailbox name. I received a response via email and twitter message after which emails were restored within 24hours. They will give you 7 days to manage emails to reduce mailbox size.

I hope that helps. 

Rincewind_
Dabbler

Hi @ang2709 

I have raised a request to have the emails restored. Once this has completed please reduce the mailbox size as soon as possible. 

If the mailbox is still over the 1000MB limit after 7 days of the emails being restored, they will be archived again. 

Thanks

Rincewind_
Dabbler

Hi @EmmaC 

I have raised a request to have the emails restored. Once this has completed there is a 7 day period to reduce / delete older emails to clear some space or they are at risk of being archived again. 

Thanks

Rincewind_
Dabbler

Hi @smee1978 

I have sent a request to have your emails restored. I'm sorry for the time taken to pick up your request. 

Thanks 

Rincewind_
Dabbler

Hi @BigWigg 

Sorry for the time taken to respond to your query.

There are no notes on the account to suggest your mail has been archived.

Was it due to inactivity? If so can you please give us a date of when it was received.

Thanks