cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyway to block an email address domain?

Minxymoo
Grafter

Anyway to block an email address domain?

I keep getting spam emails from British Seniors Insurance the return path address is something like 0079879786@sender10.acblnk.com. The number before the @ always changes so I tried blocking sender10.acblnk.com, however I then get emails from 0896646@sender8.acblnk.com, so I tried blocking acblnk.com but they still get through.

Anyway to block these?

Moderator's note: Thread released from the automatic spam filter.
13 REPLIES 13
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 257

Re: Anyway to block an email address domain?

@Minxymoo Have you ever had any dealings with British seniors? There should be an opt-out link contained in the emails - select that, and they should respect your request for no further communication.

John
Minxymoo
Grafter

Hi jab1 I have never had dealings with British Seniors. I receive theses emails every day so assumed they are spam, also if I go to webmail and choose show source there is a reference to candycrush.nl which would be odd for an insurance company that and the odd return path. Did not want to click on an unsubscribe link as that may produce more spam.
jab1
Legend

Must admit, @Minxymoo , the address looked suspicious to me, but as firms use all sorts of email forwarding/addressing, I couldn't be sure.

However, I suggest you don't click the unsubscribe link - as you say, will probably not be a working one, but mark them as 'spam' in web-mail. Eventually, Cloudmark will see the volume of reports, and hopefully block them.

John
Minxymoo
Grafter

Thanks
Champnet
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 12

Not sure where you're trying to block these emails but *@*.acblnk.com should work.

jab1
Legend

@Champnet Good spot - as I now  filter all my mail via MailWasher, and spam mark all the crud in webmail, I'd forgotten the 'wildcard' method.

John
Champnet
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 12

@jab1 Not sure why I use it but Mailwasher does seem to do a good job............

jab1
Legend

I use it because in my much younger days, I used to subscribe to sites I wouldn't touch with a bargepole now, and the address is still 'live' for places I  don't want to use my regular ones for, but has obviously been passed on - dead easy to spot in MWP and I just report in spam.

John
Minxymoo
Grafter

I’m blocking them in the Plusnet member Centre blacklist setting
Minxymoo
Grafter

Member Centre blacklist does not allow *@*.acblnk.com
jab1
Legend

Didn't know that, @Minxymoo - in that case,looks as though you'll have to follow my original solution. Might take a bit of time, but it should work.

John
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 162

@Minxymoo wrote:

return path address is something like 0079879786@sender10.acblnk.com. The number before the @ always changes so I tried blocking sender10.acblnk.com, however I then get emails from 0896646@sender8.acblnk.com, so I tried blocking acblnk.com but they still get through.

From the SPAM Settings page:

• White/Blacklist filtering does not apply to catch-all mailboxes
  • You can only enter full email or domain addresses (eg. test@test.com or test.com)
  • Each entry given must be placed on a new line
  • Wildcards cannot be used
  • Mail from senders in the Approved list will always be delivered
  • Mail from senders in the Blocked list will always be deleted

First you need to block the FROM address, not the return path address.

Does the mailbox in question have CATCHALL enabled?

You cannot use wild cards.

You can specify full email addresses or domain names.

I do not know if black-listing acblink.com will block sender*.acblink.com a sub-domain of the black-listed domain.  However, you might find that the FROM address is highly variable and therefore very difficult to block.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Minxymoo
Grafter

Thanks for all the replies will keep on reporting as spam.