cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone using email app on Doro Liberto 820 phone? Outgoing email not working

m063
Grafter

Anyone using email app on Doro Liberto 820 phone? Outgoing email not working

The Doro Liberto 820 is an 'easy to use' smartphone, with a its own Android front end and some of its own apps.
One of those apps is an email app.
I have setup an IMAP connection to Plusnet email.
Incoming email works fine, but outgoing mail just sits in the outbox.
Outgoing server settings are smtp.plus.net port 587 and security PLAIN.
The standard Gmail app is also installed on the phone and incoming and outgoing mail work just fine.
Seems to me that this is a bug in the Doro email app. I wondered if anyone else has this phone and got this working?
Thanks
Martin
UPDATE: I tried it also with a Gmail account, with the same result. Seems pretty clear its a bug.
6 REPLIES 6
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Re: Anyone using email app on Doro Liberto 820 phone? Outgoing email not working

Hi,
Just to be Clare clear, you have configured the smtp settings to use authentication (same as the imap server)?
Some thing to double check is that the application will allow non-SSL/TLS connections.  Some email vendors have removed that option from user's control.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Anyone using email app on Doro Liberto 820 phone? Outgoing email not working

Quote from: Townman
Just to be Clare

What you do at the weekend is your own business...
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Bloody 'corrective' text!

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Cheesy
Preacherlady
Grafter

I have that mobile phone and gave up on the email as it never seemed to work right!  Do not use the Data on it either. So sorry cannot help you.
Love the phone as a phone though as withe earphones I can actually hear someone!!
m063
Grafter

Quote from: Townman
.... you have configured the smtp settings to use authentication (same as the imap server)?
Some thing to double check is that the application will allow non-SSL/TLS connections.

The Doro email app offers no option to configure SMTP authentication. Presumably so as to keep it as simple as possible.
However, I turned off SMTP authentication on the gmail app and it still works fine (on my home Plusnet ADSL connection), so I don't think that can be the problem. My understanding is that SMTP authentication is only needed if you are on a non-Plusnet connection.
Security options are PLAIN, SSL and STARTTLS. I've configured PLAIN for Plusnet email.
However, when I let it auto-configure a Gmail account it set it to SSL but still didn't work.
Quite a mystery.
I have to say I'm quite disappointed with the phone as I also found that it doesn't geotag photos.
But my wife likes it ....