cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any way to set up a return address on an Alias?

Buggwrit
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Any way to set up a return address on an Alias?

Hi,
I've had an alias set up for a while, which I use in situations where I don't want to publish my proper address. Trouble is if I get a post on the alias and want to send a reply it gets sent from my proper address, giving the game away. I've looked through the help pages for email but can't see any way to alter the return address when I reply. Has anybody any suggestions?
3 REPLIES 3
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: Any way to set up a return address on an Alias?

Are you sending from Webmail?
You can set up an alternative identity there which contains any "from" name and address you choose.
After logging into webmail select Options and Personal Information.
Then click Edit Advanced Identities.
Create a new identity (just needs "Full Name" and "E-Mail Address" - whatever you desire) and save it.
Then when you compose a message, click the down arrow alongside the From address and select (one of) the alternative(s). Type the message and send it as normal.
Note: if you leave the compose panel the "From" line has a tendency to revert to the default, so make sure it's still set correctly before you send.
David
hadden
Grafter

Or, if you are using Thunderbird:
In Tools - Account Settings - Manage Identities, add an identity...
The minimum fields you should only need to complete are your name (or one appropriate to the alias) and the alias email address.
Then when you reply to a message that came in with that alias email address, it will reply with the new identity.
Of course, you can also use this identity to write a new email message. Just select the required identity from the "From:" drop down in the compose message form.
Buggwrit
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

That's great! Thank you both for your quick replies.
By the way, JohnJ, you've got port and starboard reversed - from the dog's point of view  Grin