cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any news about webmail?

Not applicable

Any news about webmail?

Not wanting to continue the SM thread which is very long and seemingly going nowhere, I just wondered if the powers-that-be at Plusnet have had any thoughts about moving to a better webmail provider?
Not keen on RoundCube for various reasons (although could be good if it was tweaked a bit) but would really love to have something just slightly more functional and sophisticated than Squirrelmail. Anything on the agenda so to speak? Is there any chance that we could be in for a treat sometime in the next 5 years?
8 REPLIES 8
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Re: Any news about webmail?

I'd like to think that we'll have some movement within half a decade poppy!
Having said that, Webmail isn't penned into our immediate road-map AFAIK. If we were to do something short-term, we'd almost certainly look to move across to Roundcube. There's little chance of us building our own solution, and we're not really going to want to deviate too much from standard software installs as it makes it difficult to keep things up to date. We looked at a number of possibilities some time ago, and IIRC Roundcube was one of, if not the most desirable.
You guys will be quick to hear about it as soon as plans are afoot!

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Not applicable

Thank you for the quick reply Bob. Looks like I'll have to stick around for another 6 years then if I want to see a change!  Wink
Meanwhile, is there an updated version of the RoundCube that we have at present? If so, wonder if it might be better, in which
case is it something that could realistically be done?
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

The Roundcube install we have is running 0.2-alpha AFAIK.
The current stable build is 0.3.1 and there's also a 0.4-beta available.
So to answer your question, yes there is an updated version available.
I have asked about upgrading before but given the limited number of people who are using it, I didn't get very far I'm afraid. I'll keep it in mind though, should a suitable opportunity arise.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Not applicable

Thank you for that Bob. I had noticed from the RC website that there was a beta version 0.4.
Would be good to have current version updated to see if it addresses some of the issues that
I have with it.  Maybe more people would use it if they knew that they could (if you see what I mean).
Look forward to having new version (if anyone can spare time to sort it out).
cjags
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

Any chance of Horde?
Not applicable

My website host provides a choice of three - Horde, RoundCube and Squirrelmail.
I never use Horde - it is too fussy for my taste. Anyway, just tried it again and no,
still don't like it. Oddly enough, despite my whinging about it from time to time
I always seem to head for Squirrel.    Roll_eyes
Tony_W
Grafter

Hi Poppy,
Do you know of any links for guides as to how to set up RoundCube with Force9/Plusnet, or is there just a web page that we need to go to (as for SqirrelMail) and log in?
Tony
Not applicable

Usually people have to send a private message to Bob Pullen and then he arranges for people to go on the 'trial' which is not really a trial now.
Once done you can use either Squirrel or RoundCube.
Only problems that I have with the latter is that when I log in it doesn't 'hold' the username/password/ISP in the same way that SM does (using Firefox) so I have to select them each time.  Also, there is a text wrapping problem which has not been resolved (although I don't have this with my website version).