Did you mean: 

Another case of Emails from domain name to Gmail addresses rejected

FIXED
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Emails from domain name to Gmail addresses rejected

Cheers for taking my call just now, really glad to see it's resolved!

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
SteveNoyes
Hooked

I

Bizzi
Dabbler

Dear Adam,

I have been your customer since the start of “Freenetname” webmail at the beginning of this century.

I am now facing the problem that all gmail addresses are bounced back. Can Plusnetmust validate my domain to Google with an SPF setup. Otherwise, it is considered as a fake domain that can be used for spam or phishing.

I believe it is a very simple operation for you and you have probably already done for other customers.

Can you help?

Kind regards

<Redacted but still visible to Plusnet>

Moderators Note: Personal information removed

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 162

AIUI not for freenetname domains.

The REAL issue is Gmail dictating the use of optional RFCs but only for their free email accounts. Anyone having a paid for Gmail account does not encounter these issues. Clearly Gmail is penalising those who do not pay for the use of their email services.

They started this vindictive action in Nov 2022 and apply it randomly.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Bizzi
Dabbler

But I am not using gmail account, I am simply sending emails to Gmail Account users. "Freenetname" is the old name of the email provider, which is now called "Plusnet".

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

I understand that. The issue is that bully boy Gmail has mandated standards on sending email services which are not mandatory. The legacy MAAF services do not support non-mandatory standards.

Gmail is only blighting their free accounts with these bulky boy tactics. Gmail users need to complain that they cannot receive emails due to Gmail’s actions.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

NickNH

I spoke to a lady at Plusnet Customer Services this afternoon who said she could retire if she had a pound for every call she'd had (this week) with the same issue. She also said it wasn't Plusnet's problem and I would have to contact Google.

From this thread, it appears that the fix is at the Plusnet end.

If so many Plusnet account holders have the same problem, why can't Plusnet do a global fix and save us all the hassle? 

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Plusnet native users do not have the problems caused by Gmail’s mandating of optional standards.

The same cannot be said of it is what it is legacy vISP products. They are rather different. Also users using third party domain name providers forwarding their mail to Plusnet … and then wanting to use Plusnet’s relay services (rather that their provider’s SMTP) service will similarly face issues.

When something used to work and then it works no longer, one needs to examine what changed. What changed here is Gmail’s arbitrarily mandating non mandatory options in Nov 2022. So given they made the changes which have broken everything - it’s the problem of their free email customers, not yours, not Plusnet’s LEGACY email brands.

Bizzi
Dabbler

Dear Adam Walker,

I believe I have the same problem as @swestlake , all the emails send to gmail account holders bounce back with the same message:

"This mail is unauthenticated, which poses a security risk to the"

Can you help me in solving the problem as you did for @swestlake ?

Many thanks

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

@Bizzi 

@adamwalker 's post might well have been left here from a "piggy-back" split.  It is not wise to post on someone else's thread as not all issues are the same as they might appear to be for the user.

Any reference to an issue having the same description as yours here, relates to a NATIVE PLUSNET email account.

You have a legacy vISP email account for which there is no similar functionality.

Bizzi
Dabbler

Thanks @Townman for explaining that I am a legacy vISP email account and the solution used by @swestlake doesn't apply to old freenetname account holders. So what can I do to fix the problem?

AudreyE_IOW

Use your service for email, signed many years ago under Madasafish, you also gave a domain. However, recently I started unable to send to Gmail addresses. The error is "Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 550-5.7.26 This mail is unauthenticated, which poses a security risk to the" on the bounce back.  Only seems to happen onto GMAIL address and not to Apple ones etc.

Is there anyway Plusnet can add I believe the SPF record to my domain? I am using relay.plus.net as the SMTP server and it's authenticated with my user name and password.

If not how would I go about getting my domain released please to transfer away?  

Thank you for any help

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 405

@AudreyE_IOW if your domain is hosted on a Madasafish account , then I'm afraid there's no way to add an SPF record. 

As for transferring the domain away, it might be better to add a 'me too' post to this thread https://community.plus.net/t5/Everything-else/Transfer-freenetname-madasfish-domain/m-p/1926412#M314... . One of the Plusnet help team should then spot it, raise a 'ticket' requesting confirmation of domain and IPSTAG for the new registrar etc and will then send the transfer to NetOPS.