cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another account user has setup my email address

TonyBrown

Another account user has setup my email address

Another PlusNet account holder (I know the account name) has setup their default account email address to be one of my PlusNet email addresses. He has clearly made a mistake in setting up his account, as a result I get the automated responses to the tickets he raises.
I have tried to get this sorted by PlusNet, but the support person said they could not help, as it wasn't my account which was wrong! They said it was a 'data protection' issue!
So currently, I get to see everything which another user is posting through tickets, but PlusNet won't help resolve the issue. There is some fundamentally flawed logic here, can anyone within PlusNet pick up on this, and help with getting this person's mistake sorted. Obviously I won't post either his account name or the email address he has mistakenly setup in an open forum.
8 REPLIES 8
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Another account user has setup my email address

Hi, and welcome to the PN forum Smiley
You could send an email to postmaster@<accountname>.plus.com to alert the user about their error...
Clearly PN ought to get in touch with them as well and not pull the DPA card - They don't have to reveal any info to you to do so.  Yet more training needed for the 1st line support staff!
TonyBrown

Nice suggestion, unfortunately this gets a bounce from PlusNet. Looks like this account's email setting are really not good. Always possible it's one of the PlusNet clones (Force9 etc.), not sure if they get different looking Question emails.
Have to rely on someone in PlusNet untangling the mess.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Data protection rubbish arrives again  Crazy
I am sure that the staff here will help
All you will need to do is identify the account by PM when asked and then they can go into the contact details in the account and either fix it or flag it up to the owner of the account.
Either way there are no data protection problems involved
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Assuming that the prefix on the emails you are receiving is not one you use yourself you could set up a redirect for that email address at http://email.plus.net. It obviously IS a data protection issue as Plusnet are sending emails intended for another user to yourself in a clear breach of data protection rules. I suggest therefore that you redirect the emails to casework@ico.org.uk and notify Plusnet what you have done. That should make them take notice.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Since Plusnet are sending the emails to where the user asked for them to be sent I wouldn't see it as a DPA breach.
Hopefully sanity will return in the morning and Plusnet will solve the problem.
David
TonyBrown

Disappointing that PlusNet aren't interested in sorting this. So far, I've tried raising sending an email to PlusNet support, and using WebChat.
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

@TonyBr
Can you message me the customer's username? I'll look into this.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
TonyBrown

PM sent to Matthew