cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anonymous (Spoof??) email from 'noreply@waitrose.com

PeetPlusnetHere

Anonymous (Spoof??) email from 'noreply@waitrose.com

Just received an Anonymous (Spoof??) email from 'noreply@waitrose.com' with subject: 'Scanned Image from MX-2600N.eml' and attachment in Word format named: 'noreply@waitrose.com_20150826_1...'.  Where do we report or forward such nasty spam for Plusnet to investigate?
8 REPLIES 8
NedLudd
Grafter

Re: Anonymous (Spoof??) email from 'noreply@waitrose.com

It seems to be doing the rounds.
My wife had the same one from noreply@ourowndomain.co.uk to wifesname@ourowndomain.co.uk
It went straight into the bin.
I doubt PN would investigate it - that's for the virus checkers to deal with!
Geoff,
York.
Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

The best way to report spam if the email is still on the server, is to login to webmail, highlight the message in the inbox, then click the 'this is spam' button.
That forwards a copy directly to Cloudmark for analysis (and moves it to the spam folder).
David
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Quote from: Gel
Forward copy of spam e mail,  as attachment (don't just forward, as headers are lost), to:
spam@spamtraining.plus.com

This process is depreciated, so don't bother with it. I'm aware that there's still reference to it on our Help pages so will arrange to have it removed.
Quote from: PeetPlusnetHere
Where do we report or forward such nasty spam for Plusnet to investigate?

If you want to bring it to our attention, then best thing to do is probably forward it as an attachment to abuse@plus.net with a covering explanation.
Note that it's unlikely you'll receive a personalised response but somebody will see it.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

PeetPlusnetHere

I tool Bob Pullen's advice and sent on as an attachment, but NIS intervened with the advice that "Email Scanner detected W97M Downloader in your email. The security risk was removed". Oh well, that's what Norton's there for.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Being suspicious was obviously warranted. At least you now know what it contains
David
David
NedLudd
Grafter

Quote from: PeetPlusnetHere
I tool Bob Pullen's advice and sent on as an attachment, but NIS intervened with the advice that "Email Scanner detected W97M Downloader in your email. The security risk was removed". Oh well, that's what Norton's there for.

But didn't spot it on the inward leg! Funnily enough it didn't on mine either.  Huh
Geoff,
York.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Which is where its the most essential!
I hate finding excuses for NIS, but there is some possibility that virus signatures got updated between receiving and forwarding the email?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.