Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Android email app email address problem

stonie
Hooked

Android email app email address problem

Hi All

I've looked through the forum and can't see my problem so please advise if it is somewhere.

When i setup my email on my Android phone I have to put my username+mailbox and password for it to get the right settings which it does but it puts that login name as my email address which it isn't.

I can't change the email address in the account settings after as it is greyed out so I can't delete the username part and replies don't come to my inbox.

I thought someone must have seen this but I don't seem to be able to find it.

Any thoughts?

7 REPLIES 7
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: Android email app email address problem

Wasn't your email address (mailboxname@username.plus.com) entered on the first screen you encountered when starting the set-up process? As you mentioned when filling in the username field on later screens, for additional mailboxes you enter username+mailboxname with the mailbox password. I don't recall this causing the email address to be overwritten.

Which device and OS version are you using?

David
southerner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Did you click to use manual setup in the email wizard? I recall having to do that & making corrections as I went as the setup wizard isn't geared up for Plusnet naming conventions.

stonie
Hooked

That's the problem. I have to put the username+mailboxname in the first part which ends up being the return address with no way of changing it.

It connects and gets email but if I send email then people reply to the wrong address.

stonie
Hooked

Hi. Thanks for the reply.

That's the problem. There is no manual Setup on this phone???

It's the wife's phone and it's different from the other phones I have.

It's a Samsung S5 Neo running 5.1.1 and it has no option to manually setup an email account.

The option is missing from the bottom left hand corner of the screen.

southerner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Does the Gmail app give you manual setup? (as opposed to the native Android mail app) ?

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Are you using IMAP or POP3? If you're using IMAP, try entering your full email address as the username, there's a good chance it will work.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

If that doesn't work the online guide for that model suggests it should go into manual set-up where username+mailboxname can be entered.

David