cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

An automatic email after account closed from Plus net to Gmail?

Toni
Hooked

An automatic email after account closed from Plus net to Gmail?

Hi

I am moving away from Plus Net in a few weeks.  I have a new gmail email address.  Once my Plus Net account is closed is there a way that if anyone uses that email address they can be sent an automatic email stating something like 'this is no longer my email, please use........... '

Is that a thing?

Thank you

8 REPLIES 8
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

Re: An automatic email after account closed from Plus net to Gmail?

@Toni Sorry - no. I don't know of any ISP that offers that option, for home accounts anyway. A bit late now, but if you had asked when you started the transfer, Plusnet would have been able to create a free 'email only' account for you.

John
Toni
Hooked

Thanks jab1.  Appreciate the reply.  That was going to be my next question.  I have read that they can set up the free email only account but only once the transfer has taken place.  I've read back on lots of other conversations and it used to cost something like £1.60 per month and now its free.  My sister has the free email account.   Has the process changed then, is it not set up once the transfer has taken place?   Thanks for your help

Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

Hi Toni,

We’d generally just need to be made aware you’d want a free email only account before your account’s cancelled (even though there isn’t anything we can do until it is cancelled).

If you can drop me a PM once your account’s cancelled, I’ll be happy to arrange for this to be reactivated and your emails restored. 

While you can’t forward your emails to a third party email address through us, you may be able to create mail forwarding rules if you set-up your Plusnet emails on a program like Outlook.

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
Toni
Hooked

Thank you @Anoush  that is really helpful, thank you so very much.  I will be in touch.

Many thanks

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Hi @Anoush welcome back to your “I’m not really working persona”.

@Toni - it might be better to PM Anoush in his day-Time persona @Gandalf

As for mail forwarding you have 3 options.

1. Your own client (such as Outlook) as Anoush suggested, using mailbox rules to (a) forward the email to your new address and (b) respond to the sender advice of your new address.

2. Having archived all of the content of your Plusnet mail box, if it is not the default address, delete the address (as a mailbox) and set the address up again as a redirection address. See manage my email in the portal.

3. (a kin to 1) If your new provider is of the likes of Gmail it is possible to have that email service ‘Harvest’ your Plusnet mailbox by it behaving as a POP3 email client.

There are always multiple ways of skinning a cat.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

@Anoush , @Townman  Thanks for the help - I've learned a bit, as well.😃

John
Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

With your Plusnet emails on Outlook, you could also create an ‘out of office’ alert to automatically notify anybody who emails your Plusnet email address of your new Gmail address. Smiley

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Note that an Outlook solution on your PC requires Outlook (and the PC) to be running all of the time if you want prompt forwarding and notification of changed email address.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.