Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amazon Fire Mail App & Plusnet Mail

southerner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Amazon Fire Mail App & Plusnet Mail

Has anyone managed to get Plusnet mail working in the Amazon Fire mail app?

I'm set up using IMAP/SMTP selecting not to use SSL which works but the app insists my return email address is [plusnet hostname]@[plusnet hostname].plus.com regardless of my correct email address that I entered during setup.

I'm thinking this may be as usually your mail server login is eg. bob@mail.com but with Plusnet mail this is not the case.

There doesn't seem anywhere to change it in the app & I've drawn a blank with my Google research so far.

4 REPLIES 4
maranello
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Amazon Fire Mail App & Plusnet Mail

It sounds like you are letting the Fire email app choose the settings. Have you tried using the manual setup option? There is a help article on the plusnet website.

My other car isn't a Ferrari
southerner
Aspiring Pro

Yeah, I did do a manual setup.& everything looked right until I went back into the settings for the account.

It's odd but I'm guessing I wouldn't really have a chance of getting it looked at by whomever Amazon outsource their tech support to.

maranello
Pro
Fixes: 2

I have successfully set up my PN mail on a Fire tablet, I'll check my settings when I get home try to understand the problem you're having.

My other car isn't a Ferrari
southerner
Aspiring Pro

So I figured this out.

Entering my Plusnet hostname as my IMAP username (which is the way I remember & as per https://www.plus.net/help/email-guides/how-to-set-up-plusnet-email/) gives me a return address of plusnethostname@plusnethostname.plus.com but using alias@plusnethostname.plus.com as my IMAP username gives me the correct return address of alias@plusnethostname.plus.com.

This is just a Kindle Fire OS quirk mind. The traditional IMAP username of plusnet hostname works just fine in Gmail on my Android phone & Outlook on my Windows 10 laptop.