cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

All my email folders have been deleted by plusnet.

Sarabee
Hooked

All my email folders have been deleted by plusnet.

All my email has gone.
Its like a creeping death. All disappeared yesterday. All disappeared when ipad synced. Just logged onto phone and watched them all disappear. I have holiday in a few days and only have flight on email. Help plusnet please.
42 REPLIES 42
tonymulini

Re: All my email folders have been deleted by plusnet.

Same here, same for my partner using another address on the same account.  I have (had) many, many folders and old emails on Plusnet's servers that I really could do with getting back.

I'm using IMAP, but also no folders and no old emails on Webmail.  I'm getting new emails since 19.41 today, but anything before that is GONE.

No way of raising a case.  No status update acknowledging the problem.

Goodbye Plusnet.  You are dead to me.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Neither of you received emails about the volume of mail stored for your account?

If you log into the Member Centre, is your contact email address up to date?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

tonymulini

Bob,

Thanks for replying so late on a Friday night.  Yes, it turns out that I have been sent emails to the address in my Plusnet account contact field.  I no longer regularly check this account, however.

I'll get this sorted: ask support to restore my emails and then archive my measly 1GB of messages locally...

...and then leave the sinking Plusnet ship.

Why?

Well >2 years ago now I raised the issue of no encryption on IMAP/POP3 connections.  I certainly wasn't the first.  I checked back a few weeks ago to check on progress.  Still not available, despite an initial outbound-only (SMTP) trial.  And despite your personal best efforts and boundless optimism in the face of what is clearly an intransigent engineering and management team.

So, this is the final straw.  I'm outta here.

Thanks,

Tony.

tonymulini

But of course it's not that easy, because it seems there's no longer a way of raising a case via the support website and Plusnet only mans the phones until 10pm.  Yet another reason for saying goodbye.

mikebruce

Hi Sarabee,

The same happened to me. Emails were there and now they are not at the same time you are talking about.

I hope they can do something as there is a lot of history gone if not.

I have also posted another thread, but have just came across yours.

MrSilver
Pro
Fixes: 9

May be unrelated, but try this once logged in

If you cannot find some of your folders, then click 'Personal Settings', select the 'Folders' tab, and make sure there’s a tick next to the folders you're looking for.

If your 'Sent' folder is empty, then click 'Personal Settings', select 'Special Folders' on the left, and check that the correct folder is selected next to the 'sent' option.
Sarabee
Hooked

I have no email to my the email address that has been deleted - which surely would be the logical place to send emails??? I have just tried to login to the account page (who would ever go there??) to see if there is anything there but I can't log in and it says it doesn't recognise my email address. I tried calling but can't get through and would fail the security checks anyway if you're saying the email address (that I get email on??) is invalid! I'm happy to spend time deleting stuffn if you can restore the folders.

Sarabee
Hooked

Thanks but they have defo all gone - I will need Plusnet to restore them so that I can keep what I need

underthehill

Hi

All my email content in the Inbox and all of the folders and their contents was deleted yesterday afternoon.

PlusNet assured me that it was not done by anyone within PlusNet.

Only solution is to attempt to restore the contents from a snapshot taken a while ago

(second attempt to reply to this post)

DMT

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

@Sarabee@tonymulini@mikebruce & @underthehill, I've checked all of your accounts and in all cases your mail was archived due to being above the 1GB soft quota. You should have received numerous notices about this. If you didn't, then I'd suggest checking the contact email address we hold for you.

@underthehill wrote:

PlusNet assured me that it was not done by anyone within PlusNet.

You were misinformed so sorry about that. There's clear notes associated with your account that allude to the fact your emails were archived. I'll have a word with the person you spoke to.

Anyway, I've unarchived everybody's emails. Please allow an hour or two for them to be restored. Once restored, please spend a bit of time reducing the size of your mailboxes (purging the Sent Items folder is often a good start). Here's a copy of one of the messages we tried sending you (personal info removed):

We're writing to let you know that your Plusnet email account is getting pretty big, and it's taking up quite a lot of space on our servers. Please can you spend a minute or two deleting or downloading some of your older and/or unwanted messages?

We want you to enjoy your Plusnet email account, but we do ask that you try to keep the combined size of your mailboxes below 1GB. This helps us keep things ticking over nicely and is mentioned here in our Acceptable Use Policy:

http://www.plus.net/info2/legal/aup.html#email

In order to assist you with taking action, here is a list of your largest mailboxes -

[REDACTED]

We'll check back with you in a week's time, and if you're still storing lots of email on our servers then we might need to archive some of your messages. Archived email is kept safe for 30 days before we delete it permanently, and you can ask for the emails to be restored at any point during this 30 day period.

The easiest way to reduce the size of your mailboxes is to delete some older messages using Webmail -

https://webmail.plus.net

Once logged in, you can also check the size of each mail folder by navigating to 'Personal Settings' then 'Folders', and then highlighting the folder and clicking the 'Click to get folder size' link.

Here are some other tips to help you reduce the size of your mailboxes:

- Delete old email -

Delete old messages that you no longer need. Using Webmail or your email program, try sorting your messages by clicking on the 'size' column and deleting some of the larger ones. Remember to empty your 'Deleted Items'/'Trash' folder afterwards.

- Delete unused email addresses -

You may have created email addresses in the past that you don't need any more. Try logging into your account and deleting those that you no longer use -

http://email.plus.net

- Check your spam filter settings -

If you're receiving a lot of junk email, then you might also want to check that you have spam filtering enabled. You can do this by logging into your account using the link above and selecting the 'Spam' tab.

- Disable your catch-all -

On the same page, click the 'Catch All' tab and decide whether this is a feature you require. You are much less likely to receive unwanted junk email with your catch-all switched *off*.

Once you've reduced the size of your mailboxes, you don't need to get in touch, but if you do need to ask us anything, then you can reply to this notice here -

http://contactus.plus.net

Best wishes,

Plusnet Network Operations Team
http://www.plus.net

In future, you should be able to request your mail is unarchived by using our online chat facility.

@tonymulini wrote:

Well >2 years ago now I raised the issue of no encryption on IMAP/POP3 connections.  I certainly wasn't the first.  I checked back a few weeks ago to check on progress.  Still not available, despite an initial outbound-only (SMTP) trial.  And despite your personal best efforts and boundless optimism in the face of what is clearly an intransigent engineering and management team.

Drop me a private message next week when I'm back in the office.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

mikebruce

Thanks to all.

Have all emails back and will reduce the mailbox size.

Appreciate the support.

Mike

quelquod
Pro
Fixes: 1

Once logged in, you can also check the size of each mail folder by navigating to 'Personal Settings' then 'Folders', and then highlighting the folder and clicking the 'Click to get folder size' link.

Works well for me (not) - "Server Error (error)"

Democracy - 3 wolves and a lamb voting about what to have for lunch!
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Same here Sad

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Sarabee
Hooked

Bob I raised a case for this on Sunday as there had been no response- my mail folders were restored and I started going through and deleting what I didn't need. Your system is so slow this is painstaking. I went on again today to complete the task and all my old folders are back again! Did you check if my folders had been restored before you did it again! What a complete nightmare.

Also from a process point of view there must be 100s of people in my position - by default when you move providers you are going to give your old email address as contact? Do you ever prompt people to update it by writing to the new email addresses set up? Also why not send the email about full accounts to the registered lead email account at plus net - this makes much more sense.