Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

All emails have disappeared

FIXED
Tim17
Dabbler

Re: All emails have disappeared

Hi,

Thanks for replying. Juliet had very little in her email inbox — unlike me she deletes as she goes. I tried to delete some stuff from my own inbox to make space. But I don’t know how to tell if I have  done enough. Do I have to delete from every device separately or is there a way to delete from the Plusnet server? Once I’ve deleted stuff from my inbox does it hang around in a ‘deleted’ mailbox somewhere? Is there a way to delete emails in bulk — for example everything from one sender? Is there somewhere I can check the size of our mailboxes? And can Juliet have her emails back?

Sorry ffor all the questions but I’ve been a customer for many years and none of this has ever been a problem before.

Tim

Tim17
Dabbler

I’ve just had a look on the website and found a notification that our emails were archived in June. First time I’ve seen it. Following my last query Juliet’s were I archived. There are no further notifications. 

On my my phone I have 2 email inboxes — the one using my own email address and a second called Plusnet email. All I get from that are invoices from Plusnet and once in a while an email addressed to Juliet’s plus.com email address (but only a dozen or so of those). I’ve had nothing in this box since 20/02/19 when I was told that I needed to check outgoing email settings. I did nothing because I can’t remember altering them and everything continued to work except for no longer getting the invoices from Plusnet. That might be why I didn’t get the email problem notification.

what am I doing wrong? I’m pretty sure I’m using relay.plus.net already

Tim

Tim17
Dabbler

Just looked at our email on webmail. There are currently about 900 messages in my email inbox and 200 ish sent emails. I did delete a few dozen from the deleted mailbox but that doesn’t look like Gigabytes to me. Juliet has 40 or so in each but only since mid August when hers disappeared.

Tim17
Dabbler

We had one of those messages in June the first time J’s emails vanished. I found it just now. But we’ve had nothing since and they’ve gone again. Certainly no 75% warning etc.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

@Tim17 

Have you checked the deleted items folder?

Assuming that all of your devices are using IMAP deleting on one device will remove them for all devices.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Hi Tim. Thanks for getting back to us and I'm sorry to see that this issue has happened again.

We've requested that the mail be un-archived and as it's taken me almost an hour to post this (I've just come out of a meeting) her mail should be back now. Let me know if she's missing anything.

Do I have to delete from every device separately or is there a way to delete from the Plusnet server?

I'd recommend deleting the mail from the server at http://webmail.plus.net logging in with her username in the format of username+mailbox and her mailbox password.

Once I’ve deleted stuff from my inbox does it hang around in a ‘deleted’ mailbox somewhere?

There should be a folder on the left hand side which says Deleted Items like in the below screenshot I've attached. Right click on that to empty the folder and permanently delete the mail.

Is there a way to delete emails in bulk — for example everything from one sender?

There is but not easily everything from one sender. Next to the Subject heading if you click on the From heading you'll sort the emails by sender that you'll be able to select individually using the tick box on the left hand side.

I've attached a screenshot showing my webmail below as an example of what you'll see when you log in:

Once you're done selecting click on the red cross that looks a bit like a stop sign to send them to the Deleted Items folder.

Is there somewhere I can check the size of our mailboxes?

Yup. Click on Settings at the top right then the Folders tab then selecting each folder individually clicking on the Information tab you'll be able to view the folder size by clicking on where it says "Click to get folder size"

And can Juliet have her emails back?

Yup, they should be back now. 

I’ve just had a look on the website and found a notification that our emails were archived in June. First time I’ve seen it. Following my last query Juliet’s were I archived. There are no further notifications. 

The last email notification we sent which was the archival of the mail was on the 21st August. That's documented on your account here: https://www.plus.net/wizard/?p=view_question&id=193366396

I hope this helps.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Tim17
Dabbler

Many thanks. Juliet’s emails have reappeared and I’m grateful for your advice on how to prevent this problem recurring.

One last question. I was able to read the notification of 21st August when I clicked on the link you sent but I did not receive the original email. Nor  can I find it on the website. Do I need to set up a different email to catch these messages?

Tim

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Not a problem Tim. 

As far as I'm aware those email notifications will go to the registered email address on the account found Here and should also go to the Plusnet mailboxes that are setup. You'll need to log into your account first before clicking on that direct link.

Looking at your registered contact email address it appears to be different to your Plusnet mailbox, is that an old address? Assuming you don't normally have more than one email address of course. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Tim17
Dabbler

Bingo!

Well done. That explains a lot. That was an ancient email address predating my Plusnet membership. Goodness knows where those emails have gone. I’ve now updated the email address on my account.

Thanks again,

Tim

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Mystery solved! I hope you've not missed many important emails because you've been with us a while although they can't have been that important if you've not noticed Cheesy Having said that the majority if not all should go to a Plusnet mailbox too.

Feel free to let me know if you need any further help at all. 

Cheers,

Anoush

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Next to the Subject heading if you click on the From heading you'll sort the emails by sender that you'll be able to select individually using the tick box on the left hand side.

Note there is a known 'characteristic' of the Roundcube webmail application wherein the selection of a sort sequence gives rise to a significant performance impact.  When you have finished doing the clear out, please remember to REMOVE the sort sequence rather than change the sort sequence to the date recieved column.

See: https://community.plus.net/t5/Email/Standard-Webmail-Round-Cube-slow-performance-mitigation/td-p/166...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

eltullah

Hello

It's happened again.  My emails have gone missing.  I had deleted a lot too.  Safari can't open the link you sent me.

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hi @eltullah,

I've raised a request to reinstate your emails now, though as we're coming up on the weekend this may not be actioned until next week.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
eltullah

Hello-guess what they disappeared two days ago.  Can they be reinstated please.  Why do they keep going missing?  I'm hoping to move house soon and already emails relating to this disappeared.

Beyhive
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 44

Hi @eltullah,

I have escalated the account to the relevant team to unarchive your email. Once restored, please make sure to delete emails as you are currently over the mailbox size limit. - Faris

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Faris
 Plusnet Help Team