cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

All Webmail deleted following iPad setup

IanThornley

All Webmail deleted following iPad setup

I have setup my new iPad to retrieve my Plusnet emails and it would appear the default setting for the iOS is to delete all emails older than 7 days on the server.  This was clearly not what I wanted and now the whole history of my account has gone.  Can my emails from the inbox & sent folder be recovered, please? 

5 REPLIES 5
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Re: All Webmail deleted following iPad setup

Hi,

That is not the default setting on the iPad. Did you configure the iPad setting as imap or pop?

Imap leaves everything on the server, pop removes things from the server either immediately or after some delay.

All emails should be on the iPad. Create another “account” as IMAP on the iPad - call it whatever but use the same server credentials.

Turn off the delete from server settings on the pop version.

Use the ipad’s Move email to a different folder functionality to move mail from the pop account inbox to the imap account inbox.

Check that the emails can be seen on web mail then delete the pop account on the iPad. Clean up the settings on the imap account.

When using multiple devices to access the same mailbox it is imperative that people use imap. Some do make things work to their ‘satisfaction’ using pop but it’s not ideal ... sent items are not all in the same place.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi there.

Are your e-mails still showing on our server at webmail.plus.net?

If they're not, let us know and we'll arrange for a restore from any temporary backups we may still hold. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
IanThornley

Hi,
Both my iPhone & iPad are setup using imap. I have checked you webmail and they have all gone from there as well. If they could be recovered from backups, that would be great, thanks.
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I've raised a task with our network operations team to restore any mail we have on the back-end system that's not currently present in your mailbox. I'd allow 24-48 hours and we'll update you when we know more.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

We've investigated this and unfortunately the snapshots/temporary backups we have don't show anything more than what already exists in your mailbox. Apologies for any inconvenience this causes.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet