Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

All Mailboxes Deleted

woolleyfamily
Dabbler

All Mailboxes Deleted

Hi,

We recently left PlusNet after 17 years or so as a customer. Before our account was transferred to our new provider, I called PlusNet to specifically request that we revert to an email only account. This was agreed and a ticket (156545174) was raised. I was informed that the direct debit would be adjusted accordingly and I received an update to my ticket stating that "the change will take effect on 30/08/2017".

Unfortunately, the change didn't take effect at all and all of the mailboxes on our username/subdomain have now been deleted, including all the email within them. My wife is furious about this, since it was her primary email address and contained many emails she needed (and still needs).

I've tried calling PlusNet to get this matter resolved on several occasions now but it usually results in me being passed from one person who doesn't have a clue to another person who doesn't have a clue. I've raised a formal complaint (157554520) which has mainly been ignored since Sunday.

If there is anybody reading this message - who is capable of restoring the mailboxes on our account - please get in touch with me, because I've already wasted over 4 hours of my life listening to your dreadful hold muzak and talking to people who seem clueless.

Most organisations would take customer data loss fairly seriously; PlusNet don't seem especially bothered at the moment.

Please, if somebody can resolve this matter amicably, I would be most grateful.

Thanks,

Steve

16 REPLIES 16
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: All Mailboxes Deleted

Hi there,

I just want to apologise for the mishandling of this first of all. It's a pet hate of mine (as I'm sure it might be yours too!) when simple requests aren't acted on.

Just to outline what I've done so far; I've passed on some feedback about what's happened,  I've checked your old mailboxes which can be restored and have also re-enabled your account which I'll get changed to mail only as per your original request.

To get the mailbox fully restored I just need to ask you to log into our website and set up new mailboxes with the same names as your old ones, you can use new passwords or the same that shouldn't matter.

if you can then reply back here when you've done that I'll get the mailboxes on our servers synched back up with those.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
woolleyfamily
Dabbler

Hi Adam,

Thank you so much for responding to my plea for help here! I really appreciate it!

I have now created the mailboxes in the member portal, as per your request.

You have no idea how much grief you are about to save me from, assuming you are able to restore the mailbox for me.

Many thanks!

Steve

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

That's no problem!

Yes, don't worry they're still on our servers and I'm asking for them to be restored now.

In case you do look at your account summary you may notice the account is set as Unlimited Fibre Extra again but this will only be temporary a I need intervention from our billing team before I can change it to the right account type, everything in terms of email should work as before in the meantime (and after I change it)

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Just a quick update to say I've managed to chase up this with the billing team too and they've fixed it so I've been able to get you on the right account type.

Cheers for your patience!

Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
woolleyfamily
Dabbler

Adam Walker, you are genius, sir! Thumbs_Up

Looks as though the mailboxes have been restored, despite your colleagues telling me that all mail would have been deleted and un-restorable from the deleted mailboxes.

I think your work here is done; Thank you so much for you help resolving this issue!

Steve

woolleyfamily
Dabbler

I'm still seeing email bounce back from the mailboxes on the username/subdomain at the moment. Is this to be expected?

Steve

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Cheers for the kind words, not a problem!

I wasn't sure so I've just checked and that is to be expected as we need to allow some time for DNS to propagate and allow them to fully function again.

In other words if this is still a problem tomorrow (which it shouldn't be) do let me know and I'll get back on the case!

Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
woolleyfamily
Dabbler

Hi Adam,

Many thanks for your help with this today; Outstanding service!

All seemed good until I got home from work and re-connected her iPad (running Apple Mail) back up to her newly restored mailbox.

When I logged-in to your Webmail earlier - after you completed the restore - I could see that her mailbox was in the correct state containing emails dating from last Thursday, when her mailbox was deleted.

When her iPad had finished syncing email this evening, the latest email was dated from June this year. I guess there were a number of IMAP operations pending between the iPad and the mailbox - after we lost access to our mailboxes - which caused a bunch of emails to be lost mid-flight and I can't find them anywhere now. The latest restored email she has now is from June, although I can now see new emails flowing-in again once more.

Sorry to be a pain with this, but is there any possibility of running another restore (from the same snapshot you used to restore the mailbox today) again, please? If this is possible, I plan to delete the account configuration on her iPad, reconfigure it, and do a full fetch of restored email, but only when the restore has completed.

I'm not too concerned about losing the emails that have arrived within the last few hours since you restored the mailbox; all the important stuff is dated between June and September and that's the stuff that is missing (but you have a backup of it as you restored it earlier).

Sorry about this; hopefully this will conclude the matter. Please give me a call if you need to discuss it with me.

Many thanks again for your assistance with this!

Steve

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Post released from Spam Filter.

woolleyfamily
Dabbler

Hi Adam,

Many thanks for your help with this today; Much appreciated!

I can confirm that new email is now flowing into the mailbox again, as expected. DNS propagation has completed. I also confirm that the snapshot you restored earlier today contained all email up until the 8th September, which is when PlusNet deleted the mailbox. This was validated through your webmail interface before I got home this evening.

All was good until I got home this evening and attempted to sync my wife's iPad (running Apple Mail) with the mailbox again. It looks as though there were some IMAP operations queued up on the iPad after I reconnected the account on the iPad to the mailbox and we are now missing a chunk of emails. I'm guessing they were lost mid-flight somehow.

Unfortunately, we are now missing email from July to September in the mailbox and on the iPad.

Is there any possibility you might be able to restore the mailbox from the same backup that you restored earlier today, please? I have disabled the mail account on the iPad to prevent it from attempting to sync with the mailbox again and I will create a new Mail connection configuration to PlusNet's IMAP server once the mailbox has been fully restored again and do a full fetch of email from the restored mailbox once your restore has completed.

I'm really sorry to ask you to do this again, but the most important emails that my wife needs are the ones dated between July and September (which are now missing after the iPad's queued IMAP actions messed these up).

If you're not sure about anything here, please give me a quick call and, hopefully, this will be the last you hear from me on this!

Thanks Adam,

Steve

woolleyfamily
Dabbler

Sorry for the double post above. Looks as though the first was was moderated before it appeared.

S

plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

Steve,

I've just responded to your ticket on the portal. I just need confirmation of one thing. If you can advise of that, I'll ask our network team to get this picked up for me and we'll see if it's possible.

Tony

Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
woolleyfamily
Dabbler

Looks as though mail was restored yesterday. Thank you for that.

Slightly concerned that overnight, I received three emails from PlusNet informing me "You've successfully deleted your mailbox" (one for each mailbox we own).

1) I've not deleted anything and I've certainly not requested that anything is deleted.

2) I really hope that these mailboxes are NOT going to be deleted otherwise I will be back where I was almost 1 month ago.

3) The mailbox management pages have disappeared from my Member Centre again which suggests the mailboxes may be in the process of being deleted.

Please can you look into this and confirm one way or another?

All I wanted was to move to a mail only account and maintain email continuity to our *@*.plus.net email accounts.

Thanks,

Steve

woolleyfamily
Dabbler

OK, so mail is now being being rejected from the mailbox you only restored yesterday. I think that answers my question above which is that the member subdomain and mailboxes have been deleted for reasons unknown to me.

Please, PlusNet, what is going on? Why is this proving to be so difficult? Which bit of "mail only account" did you not understand? I am now back in the same position I was when Adam stepped-in to help resolve this problem 2 weeks ago!

I am paying for a mail only account; I expect access to a mail only account. I am unable to respond to the ticket through the Member Centre because access to that system appears to have been removed.

Hoping somebody can sort this out once and for all.

Steve

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Hello there, 

I'm genuinely so sorry to see this is still a problem, I'll make sure we get this fully resolved.

It looks like the issue boils down to the wrong account type being selected at some point (our bad) 

I've fixed that part of the issue and reactivated the account. 

If you can set up new mail boxes with the same names as previously (just the same as last time I helped out) then reply back here and I'll get straight on the case without delay to get the mail restored.

Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team