Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advanced webmail generating CAPTCHA

nozzer
Hero
Fixes: 3

Advanced webmail generating CAPTCHA

I understand that there is/was a problem with webmail throwing up a request for a CAPTCHA verification before login is allowed. I've never had this problem until today, and now I can't access webmail at all (POPping is fine). Is this being addressed?
EDIT: Tried using IE10 instead of Chrome after clearing all caches in both browsers and using CCleaner. No joy. Reading through other threads it seems that CAPTCHA is requested if my IP address is thought to be a foreign one. It ain't! It's a static PN address. Password not being accepted in advanced webmail either, only basic webmail is working for me.
Second edit: Something wierd going on! This was posted on the end of another thread and it's appeared as a new thread. Is all well at the PN portal?
4 REPLIES 4
nozzer
Hero
Fixes: 3

Re: Webmail Mailboxes

Just on a whim, I've just hopped gateways, and believe it or not I can now login to advanced webmail without any problem! Unfortunately I didn't note which one I was on before, but this shouldn't happen surely?
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

The mods will have moved your original post to its own thread because apart from Webmail being involved the problem is different and finding a solution was more likely with better visibility. Usually the mods add a note if they've done that but perhaps didn't get round to that here.
I suggest changing the title of the thread to say "Webmail generating Captcha" (you can do that by editing the opening post).
Even if you were on a non-Plusnet IP as far as I'm aware "Advanced Webmail" (Roundcube) should not generate a Captcha. I think "Basic Webmail" (SquirrelMail) used to do that.
It looks like there might have been an intermittent problem with Webmail on your connection before you gateway hopped which would refresh your connection to Plusnet (shouldn't have changed IP address since you have a static one).
David
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Re: Advanced webmail generating CAPTCHA

Quote from: nozzer
Reading through other threads it seems that CAPTCHA is requested if my IP address is thought to be a foreign one.

It will also happen after 5 (I think) failed login attempts. Using IE or Chrome you might find that the CAPTCHA image is blocked too. It's served over plain HTTP and these two browsers have a tendency to grumble about it.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Quote from: spraxyt
The mods will have moved your original post to its own thread because apart from Webmail being involved the problem is different and finding a solution was more likely with better visibility. Usually the mods add a note if they've done that but perhaps didn't get round to that here.

Sorry nozzer that would be me Embarrassed and for the reasons spraxyt describes
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine