cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Accessing Webmail - Mission IMPOSSIBLE

rshenderson

Accessing Webmail - Mission IMPOSSIBLE

For weeks now, I have been unable to access my webmail.  This is not the first time this has happened.  An unduly honest member of Plusnet staff some time ago admitted that this was because Plusnet simply doesn't have the server capacity to be able to offer the actual service it advertises.

The situation has been made worse because for much the same time, Plusnet has been sending me increasingly threatening messages saying that my webmail folders are getting too big.  WELL OF COURSE THEY ARE!  Whenever I try to do something about it, all that happens is that I get a perpetual message saying that my emails are loading, or that the image of them is refreshing.  But they aren't, and it isn't.

So what do I do about it?  I could try phoning to tell them about the problem  -  except that there is a waiting time IN EXCESS OF AN HOUR to talk to someone, so the system tells me.  Or I could use the on-line chat service.  Oh, except that it isn't available.  Presumably because it might be useful.  Or I could email.  Oh  -  but Plusnet refuses to accept emails.

Would anyone like to guess whether I plan to continue using Plusnet?  And to think that I originally switched to them because of customer service...

If anyone has any useful thoughts which don't include... well, never mind... , I would be interested to hear.

5 REPLIES 5
wakeman
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: Accessing Webmail - Mission IMPOSSIBLE

I never use the webmail service, I download all emails to my email client on my computer, you have better control over your emails.

This issue was discussed fairly recently on these forums and there are two versions of the webmail. But the usual fix is to change the sort menu in webmail to the default. I believe. Apparently if you have set it to a certain type of sort its takes a very long time to respond if you have lots of emails. I can't remember the precise details since I don't use webmail.

Just found the other thread: Standard Webmail (Round Cube) slow performance mitigation

Search for this thread and it gives step by step instructions.

rshenderson

Thank you!  That has at least fixed part of the problem.  How ludicrous that Plusnet claimed that this was under active review more than a decade ago!

RSH

tonyodonnell
Dabbler

I am similarly struggling with this. It takes far too long to load a screen of messages even on my high speed connection and then I am regularly receiving messages showing 'server error' when I try to delete batches of messages. Maintenance of mailbox capacity below limits was previously easy and quick to manage but is much more difficult and time consuming now, presumably becuase of issues at Plusnet's end.  

wakeman
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

@tonyodonnell 

Welcome to the Forums.

You have replied in a rather old thread from April. Its always best to start your own thread so its more likely to be picked up.

I personally do not use webmail, less control. I use an email client on my computer which then has much more space and is not subject to the webmail database limit.

But as said in the much earlier postings look at:

Just found the other thread: Standard Webmail (Round Cube) slow performance mitigation

Search for this thread and it gives step by step instructions.

tonyodonnell
Dabbler

Thanks, Wakeman, will do next time. I'd found the Round Cube Thread and have tried that but it's made no difference. I too use a client on my home network, with webmail as an occasional resource when away so I keep copies of recent stuff on there.