cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Accessing Plusnet Email from a three mobile - The Answer

russelm

Accessing Plusnet Email from a three mobile - The Answer

Ok, having read through a lot of posts regarding this and not finding any definative answers, I found a solution!
Incoming email is easily setup as per the standard plus net  settings i.e.:
POP3:
Server: mail.plus.net
Username: as per plusnet
Password: as per plusnet
Encryption: none
Server Port: 110
IMAP:
Server: imap.plus.net
Username: as per plusnet
Password: as per plusnet
Server Port: 110

Its the outgoing server thats the tricky one.
Three block port 25 to all but their own servers and plusnet only support ports 25 so you cna not use the plus net smtp server!
So, the settings are:
Server address: smtp-mbb.three.co.uk
Encryption: None
Server port: 25
Clearly the down side of this is that it may not work for sending if you are using your wifi (yet to try it). Using this server does not change the form address   Wink
Three do support access to external servers via port 587 though but, plusnet dont (dow!).
I hope that helps some Three customers!
12 REPLIES 12
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Re: Accessing Plusnet Email from a three mobile - The Answer

*cough*
Community Support Library? Wink
Quote from: russelm
So, the settings are:
Server address: smtp-mbb.three.co.uk
Encryption: None
Server port: 25
Clearly the down side of this is that it may not work for sending if you are using your wifi (yet to try it). Using this server does not change the form address  Wink

I very much doubt you can use it from a non-three connection without some sort of authentication. let me know how you get on though.
Three do support access to external servers via port 587 though but, plusnet dont (dow!).

I'll see if we ever got anywhere with this as I've suggested the port is opened up a few times now.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

zubel
Community Veteran

iptables -t nat  -A PREROUTING -p tcp -m tcp --dport 587 -j REDIRECT --to-ports 25

Does that help, Bob? Tongue
B.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Thanks Barry!  Roll_eyes

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Be3G
Grafter

Its the incoming server thats the tricky one.

I suspect you meant ‘outgoing server’ here – if so, a quick edit would be in order to save confusing those who might not spot the error. Smiley
russelm

Quote from: Be3G
Its the incoming server thats the tricky one.

I suspect you meant ‘outgoing server’ here – if so, a quick edit would be in order to save confusing those who might not spot the error. Smiley

Thanks, a typo on my part
As an addition, to do the same via vodafone you need:
Outgoing server info:
Server: smtp.vodafone.net (or send.vodafone.net)
Port: 110
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

I very much doubt you can use it from a non-three connection without some sort of authentication. let me know how you get on though.

I can confirm ( as expected! ) that it won't work without authentication from a non-three connection, as I accidentally tried it yesterday :).
Forgot to change my outgoing server on my laptop that had recently been used with my Three dongle.
I'm also pretty sure that three don't support authentication.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

ginnym
Grafter

Thanks, a typo on my part
As an addition, to do the same via vodafone you need:
Outgoing server info:
Server: smtp.vodafone.net (or send.vodafone.net)
Port: 110

I'm not sure those vodafone details are correct as they've recently changed the vodafone.net things to 360.com.  They've just given me the following settings for my iPhone - smtp.360.com, SSL on, port 465.  I've just tried it and it seems to work OK.
orrery
Grafter

Sadly, as a solution this isn't much use.
If I use my laptop at home then I can send through PlusNet SMTP, if I'm away from home I can't.
I've just set up SWMBO with an HTC mobile - she can pick up her mail from F9, but can't send.  The Three SMTP server is no use at all - it takes ages, and doesn't re-try so fails to get past the grey-listing on my incoming mail.
Can we keep making that request for SMTP Auth via an alternative port, please?  I'd have thought that this is a reasonable thing to request now that we all have mobiles with email. Pretty please.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

a few points
A) my mobile hasnt got e-mail
B) spent a week near Newcastle last year out in the sticks on a 3 Dongle to my XP netbook sent e-mails and received via Thunderbird to my PN e-mail ever day, no problem
Going to near Middlesbrough soon, Hotel has WiFi, dont expect any trouble,  Last year a week in Sligo, Eire on Hotel Wifi, again no problems on two netbook, Linux and XP
ianken

Cheesy
you are a star!
I've spent hours trying to sort that one out.
sinewave
Grafter

Quote from: Barry

iptables -t nat  -A PREROUTING -p tcp -m tcp --dport 587 -j REDIRECT --to-ports 25

Does that help, Bob? Tongue
B.

responding late!
So, does this mean we can send mail through port 587?
I've just given it a quick go but it didn't seem to work for me (I just set custom port to 587, with no authorisation).
Am I  missing something?
Simon_M
Grafter

Quote from: Bob
*cough*
Community Support Library? Wink

Bob, are you drawing attention to an existing article or suggesting that the OP contributes one? Certainly I couldn't find anything about this in the Library.
Although not a user of email on a mobile phone, I would confirm the OP's findings. I use a little netbook when travelling & use Thunderbird. One of the plus points of Thunderbird is how easy it is to flick between alternative settings.
When at home (office) or on anybody else's network, Wi-Fi or wired, I use relay.plus.net with authentication turned on. Remember not to select a secure connection at the same time. This works for most major ISP connections - all the ones I've tried so far allow pass through of port 25 traffic.
When no 'proper' broadband is available, I use a three 3G dongle. They don't allow port 25 traffic to any other than their own smtp server, so I just flick the outgoing server across to my pre-set alternative, which is smtp-mbb.three.co.uk. It's only a 5 sec job to move from one to the other in Thunderbird. I imagine that on a three mobile, this would be your only setting, unless you wanted to use Wi-Fi when available.
It would be handy if Plusnet would accept connections on port 587; then one setting would do for everywhere.