cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Absolute noob SMTP question.

DampDog
Dabbler

Absolute noob SMTP question.

Apologies if this question has been asked and answered before. I'm just in the process of switching to PlusNet from BT and not had any spare time to become acquainted with the forums as yet.

I'm just in the process of switching-over (about 10 days from now) so I'm still using BT as my ISP.

I'm trying to ensure that I pull over all my old emails over and get my email client set up. I use a free client called "EmClient".

Now when synchronising, it has no issues with my old BT email server, and it appears to work OK with the IMAP side of things with PlusNet. However It keeps showing connection errors for the SMTP side of things.

My understanding of exactly how these protocols all work is minimal so I was just wondering if maybe it's simply because I've not switched to PlusNet as my ISP as yet? 

Cheers

DD

11 REPLIES 11
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 253

Re: Absolute noob SMTP question.

Welcome to the forums, @DampDog your assumption in your final paragraph is 100% correct - until you have an established connection to Plusnet, you will be unable to send mail using their SMTP servers, and should continue using whatever you are doing now.

John
DampDog
Dabbler

Cheers for the super quick reply.Smiley

I can send and receive mail, which is the main thing. I double checked all the setting so guessed it might be something subtle/obvious if you have a better understanding than myself. 

I've not got to grips with the slightly odd email naming as yet. But as I say, this is my first visit and chance I've had to have a look at PlusNet in anger. No doubt I'll come up with some more questions at some point.

Thanks again.

jab1
Legend

Have a read of this with regards to setting-up/using PN email:https://www.plus.net/help/email-guides/

I've very little idea what's in them, I tend to just use my long experience with the web, but they should tell you all you need to know.

You can always come back and ask, and someone on here will be happy to help.

John
DampDog
Dabbler

Cheers, I'd actually just found that very link..Smiley

I'll have a proper play when I've switched over. Is the PlusNet Hub just a re-badged BT HH5?

jab1
Legend

Glad you found it!

I think your assumption about the hub is correct - I don't and won't use it, but that's personal preference, for operational reasons.

John
DampDog
Dabbler

@jab1 wrote:

Glad you found it!

I think your assumption about the hub is correct - I don't and won't use it, but that's personal preference, for operational reasons.

Just curious but what do you use. To be honest up to present I've simply used whatever modem/hub BT provide. Partly because I'm lazy and party because i'm a skinflint...

Having something a little more flexible and robust would probably be a good idea.

At some point in the future I'd like to add a NAS drive.

Any pointers/advice would be appreciated. 

jab1
Legend

I use a now 'old' PN modem/router - the TG582n - because it is the last ISP supplied model from them that allows me to monitor the parameters I want to.

You can use any suitable device with PN, the only down-side I suppose is that if you don't use theirs, they don't get all the data they say they need to help you if you run into problems. The way round that is to accept their offer of the 'free' router, but just hold it in reserve and connect it if you do need to allow them to monitor it.

Sorry I can't really offer any suggestions, it's been a while since I looked at what was on the market, but others on here will be able to offer advice if needed - I would post requests on that subject on the 'My Router' board.

John
DampDog
Dabbler

No worries I was simply curious. For my current needs the supplied hub will be more than man enough. (and will probably make life easier)  I'm just nosy, and thought I might be missing a trick. 

DD 

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat): Full quote of preceding post removed as per Forum rules.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Hi DD,

A warm welcome to the forums.  Be wary of mods on the prowl … they'll be giving you a gentle nudge for quoting the whole of the preceding post!!

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

DampDog
Dabbler

Apologies for that. That's a new one on me, never used a forum that won't let you quote a post in it's entirety. No worries I'll snip bits out as necessary. 

Hands up though. I only skipped thought the "rules" as you do... 

What's that saying? It is easier to ask for forgiveness' than permission..Wink  

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hiya @DampDog firstly a belated welcome to our community forums (from a staffer).

Once your order has completed and we've activated your account, you'll be able to use our SMTP server. Accounts which are known as queued-activate don't have that luxury unfortunately. 

Let us know how your transfer goes. Cheesy

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet