Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AVG email scanner

IanSn
Rising Star

AVG email scanner

Only just noticed.

If you have AVG email scanner active it writes 'X-Antivirus: AVG for E-mail' over the internet headers - at least it does if you're using Outlook email client. (Right-click/message options. -- is there another way of seeing headers? Couldn't find one.)

Whats the use of that?!  Wanted to see the headers for a suspect email and... couldn't.

Needless to say now disabled AVG email scanner.

10 REPLIES 10
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: AVG email scanner

Antivirus programs usually add an X- property line to the message headers to show they have scanned it. Free ones might also add a signature advert after the message text.

To view headers in Outlook, double-click the message to open it in its own window.
In that window click File then Properties at the bottom of the options display.The properties display includes the headers.

David
IanSn
Rising Star

Using Outlook in Office 07 Enterprise opening the message in its own window doesn't give menus  across the top. There isn't a File menu!

The Options 'menu' in the screen shot here opens the same box as right-clicking the message and the AVG message appears no matter which way you come at it. Sad

The Junk menu doesn't have anything useful in this respect.

edit -- seems very odd to me tho, surely removing the headers is very unhelpful?

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

Click on the little arrow to the right of the word options and below mark as unread...

IanSn
Rising Star

@Browni Yep, been there. That's what I described above. Brings up same box with the X-AVG message - no headers.

I've switched off AVG now so its not a problem for me. But I can't see how pointing out that something is spam and then removing the header is of any use. Crazy2

Browni
Aspiring Hero

Does it not look something like this?

emailhead.PNG

Note the headers in the box at the bottom
IanSn
Rising Star

That's what it looks like now I've turned AVG scanning off.

This is what it looked like when it was on --

Browni
Aspiring Hero

Ah. That is not nice.

I'm glad I don't use it.

IanSn
Rising Star

Neither do I any more!   Cool

spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

This is just speculation but I wonder if the (original) headers started with an empty line, or perhaps a line containing only non-ASCII text. To the AVG scanner it would appear as the end of the headers where AVG adds its X- marker.

If you are using IMAP the message will still be on the server and you should be able to view the headers in webmail.

David
IanSn
Rising Star

Looks like all messages since I've been using AVG have had headers altered. All messages before are fine.
Yes, its not really a problem for me as only have AVG on PC laptop for 'quick look' and messages are left on server. Main client is on Mac so can get headers on there later anyway.