cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASMTP

ddingbat
Dabbler

ASMTP

Any news of if or when PN will officially implement this, including use of a port other than 25?
With the growing use of mobile clients (smartphones etc) it would be nice not to have to use the workaround of sending outbound mail from them via Google's servers!
4 REPLIES 4
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: ASMTP

Hi ddingbat,
This should work, though you'll need to send username and password in plain text rather than encrypted. It's also only on port 25 I believe and will only work from an active account (rather than one for which the broadband order is still queued).
Hope that helps,
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Quote from: Matt
It's also only on port 25 I believe and will only work from an active account (rather than one for which the broadband order is still queued).

You might be able to use port 587 when the outbound mail platform is upgraded (something that was in the pipeline). Having said that I'm not sure what the latest is as I need to catch-up with some of the Networks guys after returning from my hols. It was definitely in the original plans though.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 394

You might be able to use port 587 when the outbound mail platform is upgraded (something that was in the pipeline)

and is there any possibility of secure authentication in the future Bob ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

That was in the plans too, although only on outbound and it would have be using a self-signed certificate.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵