Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AOL emails being rejected with 522 error

FIXED
jrichards226
Fixes: 1

AOL emails being rejected with 522 error

I have searched the forum for an answer to this problem, but cannot find a solution.

My brother, who lives in Greece, has been regularly sending me emails using his AOL account, but over the past few weeks the emails have not been received and he is being sent this error message: "552 Spam Message Rejected (in reply to end of DATA command)".

I use MS Outlook as my email client and have added his full email address to the "Safe Senders" list, but his messages are still being rejected. Can anyone provide a solution to this problem? Many thanks. 

7 REPLIES 7
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Re: AOL emails being rejected with 522 error

I don't think Outlook will send out a rejection message unless you have very carefully programmed it to do so.  It's probably the Plusnet incoming email server that is responsible.  Check your Plusnet webmail to verify this.  

jrichards226

Thanks for the message. I'm not sure what I'm looking for in Plusnet Webmail; I have been through "Settings", "Preferences", etc., nut cannot find anything relating to options for rejecting messages. The actual message from AOL has this server name in the message, as follows: 

host mx.avasin.plus.net[212.159.9.200] said:
552 Spam Message Rejected (in reply to end of DATA command)

Are the emails being rejected because they come from an AOL domain? Or are they perhaps being rejected because they originate in Greece? Any help with this would be much appreciated Smiley 

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

552 or 522?

Is your mailbox full?

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

jrichards226

No, all emails are deleted from my Plusnet webmail account after being downloaded to my Outlook data file (.pst), and I have no trouble receiving emails from other sources.

Thanks for the interest though.

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

@jrichards226 wrote:

Thanks for the message. I'm not sure what I'm looking for in Plusnet Webmail;

I meant that you should look for the missing messages.  Unless your Outlook is set to use POP3 and not leave a copy of messages on the server then your missing messages would be there in your webmail Inbox if Outlook was somehow rejecting them.

jrichards226

Fix

Thank you for your reply. I have now resolved the issue as follows:

1. I took your advice and set my Outlook to "Leave Messages on the Server".

2. After a further AOL message had been sent to me, no message appeared in the WebMail Inbox, so it was definitely being rejected by the Plusnet server.

3. I logged into PlusNet and went to Email Settings, clicked on the "Spam" tab, and scrolled down to the "White list" settings.

4. I added my brother's email address to the white list, and saved the changes away.

5. It recommends waiting 48 hours for the changes to take place, so after two days my brother sent another email which arrived OK.

It seems that Plusnet (along with many other ISPs I suspect) is tightening its rules on identifying Spam, as these emails used to arrive with no problem, and maybe AOL has a bad reputation in this regard. Anyway, many thanks for your help and I'm happy to say this issue is now resolved.

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Moderator's note:

Topic moved to 'Email' board as it may be of help to others with a similar issue.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine