Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

7000 emails to send

Tsonga
Grafter

7000 emails to send

Hello Plusnet or anyone who knows...
I have an email to send to almost 7000 addresses. It's for work, but I am working from home at this week. Will this be rejected by PlusNet as potential spam, or can I go ahead?
Thanks!
BlueRhizome
8 REPLIES 8
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: 7000 emails to send

Hi
You will not be able to send all them in one go, you may need to split them in to bach's of 500.  Do not send them with the "To Field" use the "Bcc Field"
Hope this helps
[Edit]
Have a look at this for why you should use the Bcc Field.
http://www.jamesshuggins.com/h/web1/bcc_field.htm
Tsonga
Grafter

Thanks, yes that's very helpful! Smiley
I was told to Bcc the addresses by the person at work who provided them to me. As long as I don't forget, I'll be ok!  Embarrassed
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

If you do forget you won't be ok, you may be done for braking the Data Protection Act, so don't don't forget to use the "Bcc Field"  Wink
Be3G
Grafter

I'm not sure Plusnet would prohibit the sending of the e-mails, but they do implement tarpitting. If you happen to be a business customer, you could perhaps consider using NetAnnounce instead, which I think is for doing things like this – having never seen/used the tool myself however I can't be certain.
Tsonga
Grafter

Ok, thanks to you both; I sent 472 emails last week in about 10 batches and had no problems (+ did not forget to BCC ;)), but I was not sure what would happen if I sent 7000 in one go! Hopefully batches of 500 will work...  Smiley
zubel
Community Veteran

As it's an unusually large number of emails, it's worthwhile just giving one of the comms team a heads up and checking it's ok.
We recently had a temporary issue with our business smarthost, so I relayed our work email, (not on a PN connection) via the PN relay servers using one of our business ADSL accounts.  I checked with Bob first to make sure it would be ok, and that it wouldn't be caught in any monitoring.
If you are going to be sending large quantities of emails more frequently, it's worthwhile looking at a direct mailing company to handle it for you.
B.
Tsonga
Grafter

Thanks Barry! I have actually decided to ask the marketing department at work to do this for me. I think it's the most sensible option for all sorts of reasons. And a big relief for me!  Smiley
gandb
Dabbler

Well that's interesting!  I only had about 80 to send, but didn't want to use BCC as I wanted the salutation to be personal ("Dear ...").  So I was sending direct to the SMTP server using a little VB app, and after about 20 they slowed right down. I hadn't heard of Tarpitting!
I'd BCC'd myself (so I had a record of each one) and it appears that only the 1st 20 or so actually got sent...