cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

554 avasout-ptp-004 smtp ESMTP server not available (blacklisted by local policy)

FIXED
Jill3

554 avasout-ptp-004 smtp ESMTP server not available (blacklisted by local policy)

My emails are not being received by anyone it seems, after 24 hours or so I get this reason 554 avasout-ptp-004 smtp ESMTP server not available (blacklisted by local policy)' with the message that there is a temporary problem.  This temporary problem has been going on for several days now where I can receive but not successfully send emails.  

I absolutely do not understand some of the things that people on here would consider to be basic information but I did read a few posts similar to mine and went to see if my IP was blacklisted and it was - on dnsbl.sorbs.net and dul.dnsbl.sorbs.net but beyond that it makes little sense to me.  I only email two people several days a week and maybe one or two other addresses monthly, so I'm not a heavy user or send spam or anything that could be considered dangerous in any way you'd like to think of!

My IP is 87.115.203.188

Is there a way to get this sorted?  I'm on a Chromebook using gmail as the email client handling my plusnet emails but I've also tried from my old laptop using Thunderbird which appears to have the same problem.  I honestly can't emphasise enough how little I understand of tech related issues so I'm largely unable to work out what's actually going on or how to fix it.  

4 REPLIES 4
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Re: 554 avasout-ptp-004 smtp ESMTP server not available (blacklisted by local policy)

Fix

Who is the recipient's email provider?  There are legion reports arising from some email providers completely misunderstanding SORBUS black listing.

Are you sending emails using your own email server?

Are you sending emails as you@youraccount.plus.com or as you@yourdomain.co.uk?

If the latter, where is yourdomain.co.uk hosted?

You should however read this which suggests that your IP address has been marked as a source of SPAM activity - Spamhaus ZEN - BLACKLIST (mxtoolbox.com)

Such might not be untypical for a dynamic IP address.  You might try switching off your router for 90 minutes and see if you acquire a different IP address.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Jill3

Re: 554 avasout-ptp-004 smtp ESMTP server not available (blacklisted by local policy)

Hello, thank you for your reply, I really appreciate it.

One of my recipients is a gmail.com address and the other is a hotmail.co.uk

I'm sending from two different email addresses but both are you@youraccount.plus.com (same account details, just one is me and one is my husband).  

I did as you suggested and have just got back online after switching off the router for nearly 2 hours and that has reset my IP address.  I've sent a test email and am waiting with everything crossed to see if it's worked.  The new IP address is not showing up as blacklisted so I'm hopeful.

I will let you know the outcome, and thank you again!

Jill

Jill3

It worked!  My friend received and replied to my test email without any issues. 

Great stuff, thanks so much!

Mav
Fixes: 515

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): The fix has been changed to @Townman as per message #2.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still