cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

535 Poor reputation

Perdrix
Grafter

535 Poor reputation

When I'm away from home I use a VPN, but when it is active, I cannot send email: SMTP (relay.plus.net): 250-avasout04 hello [196.52.84.22], pleased to meet you : : Login details removed : SMTP (relay.plus.net): 535 ...authentication rejected as source IP has a poor reputation How can I send emails if you block my VPN provider?
5 REPLIES 5
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: 535 Poor reputation

Hi there, I can see that this has been an issue for you previously: https://community.plus.net/t5/Email/535-authentication-rejected-as-source-IP-has-a-poor-reputation/t... 

Does the IP change each time you reconnect to the VPN and if so does the same issue happen each time?

Adam 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Perdrix
Grafter

I can and does change.  Same issue happens pretty much always when I connect using VPN.

My current public IP is [Removed].   All will belong to PrivateInternetAccess

I have no control over the IP I'm assigned by them.

Dave

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat): IP address removed from a public forum (to an area that staff can see).

JOLO
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 77

Unfortunately @Perdrix it seems, as was the case in the previous post mentioned by @adamwalker, that the IP address you've quoted has been blacklisted on numerous spam databases. As it has a poor reputation we won't allow you to send mail from that IP across our mail server. 

Perdrix
Grafter

Hmmm, If you didn't require authentication to send emails I could understand that.

However, you DO REQUIRE authenication to send emails, so you can validate who I am, so why are you concerned about the IP address from which the sign-on is happening?

PS I note that in the previous thread no-one ever came back to me!

David

Optimatts
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 19

Hi @Perdrix

My apologies that never no one ever got back to you.  At the time we got some feedback from our infastructure operations team with the following response. Im sorry that this doesn't seem to have been passed back to you sooner:

This IP shows as being on the MailSpike blacklist. This is likely to cause continuing problems for the customer as we, not unreasonably, don't want to accept mail from an IP which is legitimately on the blacklist. We'd advise that the customer looks into changing the IP he tries to connect from.

In regards to your last response:

However, you DO REQUIRE authenication to send emails, so you can validate who I am, so why are you concerned about the IP address from which the sign-on is happening?

Realistically, because of the dynamic life cycle of the VPN IP address it could have previously been used for something nefarious. While we know who you are via authentication, the IP is not trusted. Hypothetically, that could get reassigned back to someone using it for untrustworthy means. It's one of those safer than sorry circumstances. Alot of people use VPNs for illegitimate means.