cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

452 Too many rcpts in time period from this IP

IMR88
Dabbler

Re: 452 Too many rcpts in time period from this IP

If it helps, I've shown that the problem is the plusnet server.

Running outlook 365 on a mac I get a 17099 error, too many recipients in a time period. There are 6 in the mail I have sent. It's now rejecting single emails!
Using the Mail program in the Mac, same issue, but when the error comes up, it asks if I want to use another server - sending is then no problem.
I'm also using a separate surface pro for work, which sends and recieves no problem through the work server

So it looks very much like a Plusnet problem. It's also intermittent. The group mail now having been sent.

pnforumMW
Grafter
Fixes: 2

Personally I've been OK since the October outage, but it does feel like their server is falling apart and they keep applying plasters. I guess it's inevitable that they will just let it grind to a halt as they're not getting any income stream from the users. But we don't know as they're not telling us what the problem was/is.

I did some research into swapping email provider to a paid one last year, which i'd be happy to do for reliable service, so I'll take another look at that if/when I get more problems.

IMR88
Dabbler

I think this is whwere I'll be heading too. FInd a reliable third party email server.

Iain

IMR88
Dabbler

Well, it's still happening. It's so intermittent that's the frustration. I can only assume this is a big glich in plus net but too insignificant for them to bother with

pnforumMW
Grafter
Fixes: 2

Thankfully I've been OK, but I'm just keeping my fingers crossed. I think one more "episode" and I'll move provider.

To be fair, we're not paying for this service so why should they spend too much time supporting us.

IMR88
Dabbler

OK. That's it. I've had enough.

What is really galling is the lack of engagement by plusnet. All I see is there impossobly cheery adverts. So I'll be closing my accounts when I can work out how to do the massive amount of work it will take.
And I am unlikely to recommend plus net.

OF course living in CUmbria I may have to continue with them whcih makes my rant just a little less pleasureable

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi there and I'm sorry this has been an issue for so long. Could you send me a PM with your username please so I can have a look into it for you? 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
SallyB
Hooked

is there any kind of a fix for this yet?

I have just bought a new computer and was hoping that some of the problems I had with my old computer would be solved, some have but not the issue with my email.

Sometimes it can be fine but then the "too many rcpts" kicks in and once it has rejected my email to multiple recipients (often only about 10) and left it stuck in my outbox,  then emails even to single recipients will apparently send but then I get an "undeliverable" notice with the 452 error.

I have just taken over organizing a small network and we communicate by email.  There are 50 people on this email list so sending the message to them individually is NOT an option.

I used to have a work email that I could use as an alternative  to get my message through, but I have just retired so that won't be an option much longer.

Bizarrely my husband who uses the same wifi as me NEVER has this problem!!

Please, Please help

Sally

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Hiya @SallyB, I'm sorry for the issues you're having here. 

Does this happen over both webmail and mail clients? can you send over a PM with the headers of one of the emails you've had an issue with (ideally from within the last 24-48 hours) and also with the full rejection message?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Hello @SallyB 

A warm welcome to the forums.

For good reasons, Plusnet (and many mail providers) implement bulk emailing blocks to prevent spamming and putting the reputation of the service at risk.  Usually this is quite invisible to the vast majority of users, however there are some specific circumstances where users unexpectedly encounter issues.

Are you using a VPN service to connect to the internet?

Where the connection to the mail server is via a third-party VPN service, ALL USERS of that VPN service will be "seen" as coming from the same IP address.  Therefore, all email addresses from those users will appear to have come from the same IP address and give rise to the issue reported.

The number per time period is different for each profile of IP address - Plusnet's / another in the UK / the rest of the world.  Note that many VPN providers are not UK based.

There could be other causes too ... such as an emailing virus on your computer.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

SallyB
Hooked

Dear Townman, 

thank you for your attempt to help but I have already investigated all the "usual" problems.  I am in Gibraltar rather than the UK but I am not using a vpn of any sort and I have just bought a new computer so was hoping it would be a clean start.

My issue only kicks in when I try to send to multiple recipients and once I have tried once I am then unable to send even an individual email.  I am later (once the current block relaxes) going to try sending 100 plus individual emails - I expect to be able to send them to those people one by one.  Perhaps once I have sent 50 I will try sending them 2 by 2 or 3 by 3.

Hoping someone works out why my email is triggering the too many rcpts at such a low level.

Sally

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi Sally,

Btw, did you get a chance to send a PM to Lauren?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 395

I am in Gibraltar rather than the UK

and there's the problem. The sending limits are much lower when sending from a 'foreign' IP

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

SallyB
Hooked

reduced to 2?

SallyB
Hooked

yes am sharing information with her