cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

452 Too many rcpts in time period from this IP

totterdell
Dabbler

452 Too many rcpts in time period from this IP

I am not able to send any emails. Is this because I sent a Zoom meeting request by email to a number of recipients?

Now I can't send anything to anyone.

50 REPLIES 50
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Re: 452 Too many rcpts in time period from this IP

How many people did you send to?

There are numerous anti-spamming measures implemented on Plusnet's email platforms, tow of which are limits on the number of addresses per email and the total number of addresses in a time period.  I suspect you must of bust both limits.

There is another possibility though - are you sending over a VPN?  When sending emails over a VPN, all users on the VPN service might appear to be on the same IP address.  That has given rise to this warning previously.

Solution: If you are using a VPN - don't or find a different one.  If not, then wait a while - it should clear within an hour.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

kenhardy

I've had this exact problem for the last couple of days but never had it before.

I'm away from home, connecting via a relative's BT WiFi. I was able to send about 10 emails before getting the "Too many rcpts..." message. Also an email with about 25 BCCs in the address line was refused with the same error message.

Is this because I'm using a "strange" IP, or is there another cause?

Ken

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

I believe that the number per email and total number of addressees per time interval are more stringent from an “off network” IP address.

Across the 10 emails sent successfully what was the total number and in what time frame?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

kenhardy

I sent 10 emails in about 11 minutes before getting the error. After about half an hour I was able to send another 10 but it seemed to become more erratic after that.

The email to multiple addresses had 52 addresses in the BCC field. This errored immediately. The same email with only 11 BCC addresses posted without problem.

pwberry
Dabbler

I've just started to get this in the past couple of days.   It has nothing to do with the number of recipients - I get it with a single recipient.  It's intermittent - will disappear after a few hours,  but it's beyond  infuriating.  Especially like now,  when I'm trying to send an urgent email to a group of people cancelling a meeting tomorrow.  

I did wonder whether it was perhaps a trojan sending out mass-mailed spam - but no, everything's squeaky clean,  have checked network data usage and nothing untoward,  and it happens on any machine using this email account. 

So fed up with Plusnet. 

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Are you using a VPN?

How many emails are you sending per hour?

How many addresses in total - it is not solely the number on an individual email.

Given that you note that the restriction clears in an hour or so, firmly implies that something in your configuration (VPN?) is giving rise to volume throttling.

@pwberry wrote:

So fed up with Plusnet. 

So pleased that Plusnet take rigorous measures to inhibit volume spam email, which would otherwise create a poor reputation for their SMTP servers with other mail services, which impact every user.

adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

Hello @totterdell

Thanks a lot for reaching out and I'm sorry to hear that you're having this issue when trying to send emails.

We've had a number of similar reports lately and this has been raised to our team. We're hoping to have the matter resolved soon.

Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds
IMR88
Dabbler

I'm getting this too, yesterday and today. Even on a mail with one receipient. The mail eventually gets sent

Why?

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Have you been sending a lot of emails?

Are you using a VPN?

IMR88
Dabbler

7 mails sent yesterday 26 the day before

Not on a VPN. It only seems to be from my laptop, not my phone

Chris_P
Dabbler

I am also experiencing these messages, as from early this week.

I have been away from home now since 4 October, and so am using off-network addresses to transmit my emails. However, as I say, this problem only appeared in this fourth week away.

I look forward to a resolution.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

@IMR88 wrote:

Not on a VPN. It only seems to be from my laptop, not my phone

That is interesting and could have relevance.  Is the phone connected via your (Plusnet) wifi or 3/4/5G?

Is the laptop connecting via the Plusnet network? 

totterdell
Dabbler

The problem has occured again today without us having sent any emails to more than one recipient.

We live in a rural location and have no VDSL so use Pine Media (line of sight microwave link) for our internet connection with reasonable up and download speeds. But obviously Plusnet sees us as an external connection as we cant connect using Plusnet media, despite paying for it!

We use Plusnet to host our domain and to provide email services and landline telephone. Pine Media only provide a connection without any hosting or email servers.

Something must have been tightened up in Plusnet security architecture in the recent period, causing some unforeseen consequences.

Nick

totterdell
Dabbler

Sorry,

My wife had sent an email to her bookgroup members, so again the cause was an email with multiple recipients.

Nick