Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Walled Garden Test Not Successful

Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 38

Walled Garden Test Not Successful

This did not go well, I ended up using the router set-up wizard to get connected, and even with that the configuration settings lost the password so wouldn't authenticate until I re-entered it.
The story:
I flashed the firmware to the DEMO version then pressed factory reset. The router synced with the exchange (Broadband light solid green), Internet light flashing continuously with an occasional short steady green pause.
Turned computer on after a couple of minutes of this and browsed to router. Showed connected as tr069@plusdsl.net. Showed no inclination for it to move on until I started my email program (Thunderbird). That showed a "We need more information" message in the Preview Pane. Completed the information, pressed the submit button, and a Firefox tab opened requesting the same information. Entered it again, this time got an error message that it had failed with a log entry made on the ACS (I assume).
Ran the manual set-up wizard then and entered my normal broadband name. After this finished authentication failed and the password field was blank. Entered the password and it connected.
David
David
14 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Walled Garden Test Not Successful

Superuser
Superuser

It looks like Plusnet only comment on successes, not failures. Sad
David
David
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 159

Sorry David, not sure how this one slipped under my radar.
From reading your post, it sounds like you were diverted to the 'walled garden' via your email client. Can you remember what day you tried this? If it was early last week, then the fix for the 'walled garden' may not have been rolled which would explain your issues.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Help Team
Superuser
Superuser

It was around 16:35 BST on Friday afternoon, a full day after I received Matt's email mentioning the fixes had been rolled and requesting further testing.
At the time I had lots of Firefox (default browser) tabs saved and I wondered if that made it difficult to spot an extra one. One of my tabs (in the middle of the row)  was the router stats page, and I've a feeling that might have have been redirected to set-up.
I'm inclined to clear everything and try again from a factory reset. See if I have better luck second time around.
David
David
Superuser
Superuser

I tried again, better luck this time, though I wouldn't say the experience is straightforward.
I factory reset the router, it auto-connected to the walled garden, and I could browse the Internet. However it wasn't until the router log showed Configuration saved by TR69, some 14 minutes later, that the next visit to a site brought up the Broadband Configuration/Information needed page. This time I didn't have email open.
I entered my account details and a couple of minutes later the process finished, now connected under my own broadband username and the password field is not blank.
David
David
Community Veteran

I think the same happened to me David - nothing seemed to happened for some time, so I almost gave up and went browsing - until as you say about 15 minutes later a tab opened with the Broadband Configuration/Information needed page.
So I agree - not idiot proof yet.
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Thanks for the extra feedback, I'll do some testing here on the walled garden myself and try to replicate this delay. I'll flag this thread to the developers to see if they know why it's slow for you.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Help Team
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 8

I must have hit lucky then - the page came up within 30 secs and the whole process was done and dusted in about 6 minutes.  That's quite impressive IMHO whereas  15 minutes is a NoNo as it becomes confusing - so I hope the delay can be resolved.
M
Community Veteran

Can we do it again - just by reloading the default firmware.
Can you remind me - does the TR69 server just look at the router serial number - and you have preloaded that onto the server together with the user name and password ??.
When I loaded a browser - I just stared at it for a few minutes and nothing happened.
Aha - I have my browser set with no home page so it wouldn't have done anything - I think that's it ?
does it depend upon "Web Browsing Interception: Automatic"

Malcolm
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

If you've flashed the firmware, you should just need to factory reset the router and you'll be able to test again.
If the serial number is marked on your account in Workplace, the ACS will pick this up when you connect and send your connection details to the router. If the serial number is not marked on your account then you'll be pushed to the walled garden to enter your username/password.
It's worth noting that after tomorrow afternoon (5pm) the tr069@plusdsl.net username will not longer work, if you are continuing the trial after this you'll need too change the username to getstartedtrial@plusdsl.net. I'll be putting tickets on accounts this afternoon advising of this and the password to go with it.
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Help Team
Community Veteran

OK - I started again.
Reset router to factory default - and I saw that user name was the tr69 one.
I tried the whole procedure three times before I finally seemed to succeed in a manor I might expect  Sad
First time - I got to the walled garden - and entered my user details very carefully - and then it seemed to hange.
I then RTFM - the email from Matt to see if I'd missed something...........
Started again - reset to factory default
watched the router lights - especially the Internet one. As usual after the others after a few seconds it flashed red, then to gree and the flash green.
I waited a minute, and then to two minutes or more and it never flashed red, then green - which is where i expected it to have downloaded user name and password and reconnected.
I then opened IE7 - which I had previously set home page to be Google.
After about 20 seconds it went to the walled garden and asked for the user name and password.
Then it seems to hang - and I was almost about to give up and after about 5 minutes I got the big green tick to say all done and then checker in the router and the user name and passowrd had indeed been changed to mine.
I powered down and up again and router had retained the information and I got in.
So - I would conclude that process is still a bit flacky.
If people like us can't do it with confidence and reliably then I suggest it's not ready for roll out ?

Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

Thanks Malcolm, whilst the 'standard' configuration appears to be working extremely well with the trialists, there are varied responses regarding the 'walled-garden', not least the time taken to complete its initial configuration.  Our developers are continuing their investigations into these issues - please do keep your feedback coming.
Community Veteran

Thanks Pete,
I'm not sure what else we can do - but as always I'm willing to do more if specific instructions are forthcoming.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

Try and break it  Wink  The vast majority of our customer testing is plug, wait and surf. I'd be keen to see if any of you see odd behaviour if you've manually set up the router for NAT, parental controls, wifi SSID etc prior to completing the inital update just to check that TR069 is only changing the username and password.  (I know that some issues with the wap settings were seen during the inital '.ini' config testing.. I'd just like to rule that out conclusively if we can.