Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Further walled garden testing

Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 158

Further walled garden testing

Afternoon all,
We've rolled a fix live for the walled garden problems. If anyone is available to give this a test over the weekend can you let me know in here or via PM? I'll need the account that you are trialling the router on as we'll need to remove the serial number from there in order to give a fair test.
If anyone who could test this over the weekend you'll find instructions on a ticket on your account at http://contactus.plus.net
You'll probably find that you can only test this stage once, as the serial number will be registered to your account after the first test.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Help Team
21 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Further walled garden testing

I'm willing to try it.
PM sent to you Chris
Mal
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 8

I'm up for it, PM sent - and response received before I got around to this post Embarrassed
M
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Thanks both, I've replied to your PMs and we're just sorting the instructions out. They should be with you this afternoon.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Help Team
Community Veteran

All done and tested with no issues - all worked according to specification....
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Cheers CB, just seen your results.
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Help Team
Community Veteran

Hi - now this is puzzling -
first attempt - yes quickly progressed as expected through to getting the green tick
but when I went back to look at router page with user name and passowrd, refreshed - and it was still getstartedtrial@plusdsl.net !
I tried again - but first reset router to default factory - but still the same
I stopped  -thought about it - then tried again at 15:15 - and this time it worked . But I can't remember what I did differnt if anything ?
So how do we explain that ?
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Any chance that the username/password page was cached? We've seen that a couple of times throughout our testing here.
Give me 2 minutes and I'll remove the serial number from your account so you can test again if that's ok? Can you record the IP you are given when connected on getstartedtrial? Also once the green tick appears, try going to www.whatismyip.com and seeing what IP that shows.
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Help Team
Community Veteran

I hit F5 to refresh - but just to illiminate - l'll use a different browser  Grin
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Looking at the RADIUS logs on your account and the getstartedtrial account now.
There is a connection on getstartedtrial at 14.53 which ended at 15.01 and then an immediate connection at 15.01 on your account, so it looks as though it did work?
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Help Team
Community Veteran

Yes your right - it is a cache issue - but I definately cleared it - or at least I'm 99% certain ?
This time I did it with three browsers - FF3.5, Opera and IE6, did it with IE7 last time.
and yes it did change the password.
so maybe a few more thoughts on a VERY explicit set of instructions for newbies - and experienced people !.
Anything else ?
yes those timings match my notes
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Phew!
Nothing else at the moment, that's fantastic thanks. We wanted to make sure that the fixed that was put in place for the walled garden worked, and so far it has 100% of the time.
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Help Team
Community Veteran

OK
Your instructions are very good, but they missed out a couple of steps - you assumed people knew how to use Thomson interface, around step 4, - you need to click 'View More' and then disconnect to enable you to change the username.
Newbie instructions need to detail every single little step. and make no assumptions.
cheers
Mal
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

around step 4, - you need to click 'View More' and then disconnect to enable you to change the username.

I've just tried this here and I didn't need to do that? I clicked the 'internet' link shown in the middle of the page under the 'broadband connection' section and it had the text boxes there?
As an addition I'm going to place the following text on the tickets.
To clarify step 4 of the instructions, once you have browsed to the 'internet' section, you may need to click the 'view more' link in order to change your username/password.
Please note that at step 10 of the newest trial instructions, you may see the router still showing the getstartedtrial@plusdsl.net username. If this happens please try holding down CTRL and pressing F5 as this will clear the cache and refresh your page. Alternatively you can visit www.whatismyip.com and record the IP address this shows on the survey.
Thanks.
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Help Team
Community Veteran

fussy things aren't they these routers :-)
but yes - your extra notes would be a good idea - not everyone knows about clearing cache - we all take so much for granted - it's difficult to behave like a newbie.
Have you tried your instructions on an inexperienced user ? - maybe difficult to find one in PN ?. Maybe the boss -  Smiley
send us the new instructions and we will try to break them  Wink
I put your instructions into MS Word made it into a table and added a column on right - to put timings and to record the results.
Maybe you could do that too ?
good luck with the next stages.
mal