cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

E100 Wireshark Trial - what's all this then?

Plusnet Alumni (retired) orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

E100 Wireshark Trial - what's all this then?

Hi all,
We're currently in the process of upgrading our traffic management platform (from E30's to E100's, for those interested).
This means we'll need to recreate a lot of the traffic signatures for the platform. This is where you (hopefully) come in.
We'd like some volunteers who are comfortable using wireshark and who ideally use a large number of different protocols - games especially. These volunteers will be moved over to the new platform ideally on Friday.
Basically you'll need to use the connection as you normally would and if you notice anything running slowly take a wireshark capture. We'll be getting you a link to raise a ticket to a dedicated pool with these capture files attached, so Dave can create the signatures needed - we'll let you know what that is when we've got some volunteers ready.
More information will of course follow but if you're interested please drop a post in the thread in announcements, which is here.
EDIT: It's important to state that you shouldn't really consider this trial if you need your connection working as fast as possible. Some rules we'll be able to turn around quite quickly but others may take a few days or even weeks depending on how complicated they are. If you use a VPN and it's essential for work then this is not recommended for you, though if it's a backup connection and you don't mind testing VPN software on it then please do consider it Smiley
If you don't mind that then please do volunteer as this will be an immense help.
8 REPLIES
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: E100 Wireshark Trial - what's all this then?

Apologies for adding this too late, but...
If you're going to capture something that's running slowly, can you start the capture before you start the application/protocol or whatever? That way we get everything we need.
I'm really sorry I didn't say this in my initial post above.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

How many gateways are NOT on the E100s? I'm wondering if we need to continue using the trial logins or should go back to our normal logins yet. (Following the trial I've dropped the Pro add-on as at the moment it seems OK - although maybe I'll need to add it again if VPN gets choppy during the Olympics!)
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Presumably most of the UK Olympic traffic will be classified Bronze or lower.  Cheesy
[coat]
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi guys,
Just thinking from what Jelv has said above, I suspect you'd be fine to ditch the test usernames now as the majority of gateways are on the E100 platform (I believe after tomorrow the only ones that won't be will be PCL-AG01 and 02 and those should be done soon).
If you would still be willing though it'd be great if you could get wireshark captures if you do notice anything awry so we can get them sorted - suspect (and certainly hope!) that they'll be few and far between.
Thank you very much for helping though... I daresay it'll be a few days before we get round to removing access to the test accounts so if you've any large downloads that you don't want adding to your total now would be the time Wink
Community Veteran

Thanks - I've switched back.
I'm also deleting the associated tbb quality monitor.
Community Veteran

Should this forum be locked (and archived)?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Quote from: walker23
Presumably most of the UK Olympic traffic will be classified Bronze or lower.   Cheesy

I'm pleased to have been proven wrong on this prediction!
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Highlighted
Mike_Grice
Grafter

Let's just say we had to do a lot of sitting/lugging in datacentres in the wee hours to make sure the experience was good Smiley