cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

xp home or xp pro help

N/A

xp home or xp pro help

whitch is the best for gaming running amd x2 4800 and going sli soon some told me that xp home is no good for duel core x2 they say that xp home is not configed for x2 everyone i know says go xp pro its a better system. can some body shread some light on this.....

running xp home
case antec nine hundred
hiper r 580w
amd x2 4800
2gb corsair xms
xfx 7900gt
ps: if anyone is looking for a new case get this one 6 fan cooling
9 REPLIES
holdtight
Grafter

xp home or xp pro help

Essentially both are the same with the home version aimed at the home users and pro aimed at business`s who need the extra networking and administrative features

Microsoft have a version comparison page Here so you can see the different features

For what you want to do you wont see any difference between the two so my advice would be to save yourself some money and stick with the home version
vic_newey
Grafter

xp home or xp pro help

I just looked at the comparison chart & noticed this missing from the home edition :-

Software Installation and Maintenance – automatically install, configure, repair, or remove software applications.

Would have thought that would be in both, its also interesting that Pro is available in one or 3 disk versions , the three disk being 3 times the price.
Community Veteran

xp home or xp pro help

I think marketing have been at that chart.
I sure that half of the things that it claims Home is missing are really there.

I have just got a Dell Dual core machine running XP Home, and that shows two processors.

The main difference is the multi user and network security, in Pro. (As I see it)

Chilly
Community Veteran

xp home or xp pro help

The other big difference is Pro can connect to domains whereas Home can only use workgroups.
retep
Grafter

xp home or xp pro help

I don't have a beta copy of Vista but theoretically Windows Vista is a 64 bit operating system so it should do better than Windows XP Home or Pro with a 64 bit processor(s).

If you can wait and can afford (the long delayed) Vista it may be worth the wait but read a few reviews first I suggest.

Also agree Pro is networking and security related I haven't heard of or seen any performance gain on Pro PC's.
N/A

xp home or xp pro help

I think marketing have been at that chart.
I sure that half of the things that it claims Home is missing are really there.

I have just got a Dell Dual core machine running XP Home, and that shows two processors.

The main difference is the multi user and network security, in Pro. (As I see it)

Chilly

XP Home does have support for dual core CPU's however, it will not install full stop on a motherboard with 2 physical processors, which is what that difference relates to Cheesy
N/A

xp home or xp pro help

thank all when i go sli how much increase will i get with to 7900 gt xfx cards running 25% 50% 100% i am using a asus an832-sli deluxe m/b

do you know if its best to wait for vista to come out and the directx 9 cards will drop in priceHuhHuh?
N/A

windows

try linux much better
Denzil
Grafter

xp home or xp pro help

A system like that looks like its a gaming machine, in which case Linux is probably not the best bet. Don't get me wrong - I use Suse 10 myself, and there are are some good games for it (so I hear) but if you want to play the latest mainstream games then stick with Windows.

Nvidia graphics cards can be a little awkward to install with Linux. They do work, I've got one, but the driver is not open source and it usually needs some fiddling about on the command line to make it work.