cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

xp backup

morgan2476
Grafter

xp backup

Does the backup utility in xp compress the files when it is backing them up? If it is how does one se the ratio and how can one adjust the ratio?
7 REPLIES
BenG
Grafter

xp backup

I think it does but I duno cos I tend not to use any of the MS tools, but I did find this that may provide some insite.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/learnmore/bott_03july14.mspx

I also found some freeware Backup tools. if you can;t have any joy with the MS one.
http://www.snapfiles.com/Freeware/system/fwbackup.html

hope that may help.
RobDickson
Grafter

xp backup

I read the other day that the XP backup utility does compress files, but doesn't do a very good job of it.

As far as back-up software is concerned, I'm trying to decide between WinBackup and Handy Backup. I'm not interested in creating an image of the hard disk, but I am interested in being able to encrypt my backups.

From what I can see, WinBackup (free) encrypts files, but I need the paid for version of Handy Backup (about 20 quid) to encrypt files.

If anybody has any experience of either of these programs, I'd like to hear it. There's bound to be a reason that WinBackup is free, and when it comes to backing up files, I don't mind spending a couple of quid to make sure it's done properly.
N/A

xp backup

How much are you backing up and is it all in one place ie off my docs?

One cheap and nasty but very effective is to use winzip 11 as that can encrypt files do a backup and has very good compression. The new backup makes it easy to do and the format is readable anywhere. Some backups you need the software to read it and often this can get lost and then you have a good backup but cant read it.
RobDickson
Grafter

xp backup

Nice idea.

At the moment, the files that I want to back up add up to a total of 4.5GB, but this will grow because I bought a new digital camera on Christmas Day. They are all in the My Documents folder.

Looking ahead, I need something that will only backup files that have changed. I haven't used WinZIP for years, but looking at its website, I don't think that it does incremental backups, and it costs the same as HandyBackup.

Thinking about a realistic 802.11G connection of 30Mbps:

4.5GB / 30Mbs
= 36,000 Mb / 30Mbs
= 1,200 seconds
= 20 minutes

This actually seems faster than I expected, so my sums are probably wrong somewhere. 802.11A is always worth considering, of course.

The pictures will be stored in JPG format, so WinZIP won't compress them. As I take more pictures, I think that incremental back-ups will become more important.
Rich
Grafter

xp backup

I think that if you are looking to compress jpeg files, then you will be disappointed as they are already highly compressed.

Richard.
N/A

xp backup

winzip 11 does all the backups inc full and uncle tom cobbly and all. The main point is you can unzip it with anything were as with a backup prog only that would restore it.

Try the winzip demo
RobDickson
Grafter

xp backup

Ryton: Sorry, I wasn't clear. The point I was making was the WinZip's compression features weren't that useful to me, because most of the data will be made up of JPEG files.

Mwright: I see where you're coming from. Having looked at WinZip's features in more detail, I see that it does both differential and incremental backups. I'm quite tempted to run both packages - the Handy Backup (because it will automatically back-up the registry, cookies, favourites, etc.), and WinZip (because of its simplicity and "future-proofness"). I suppose the way to be sure that a backup program is still available if I lose my hard-disk, is to backup the installation file separately from the main backup.

Thanks again for your comments.