cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

xml program

jabb0
Grafter

xml program

I was lookin on the web for a small program which would let me keep an organise a journal, but didnt find anything useful.

which made me think "theres a program which could do with being written" and me being a programmer the answer is kinda obvious.

Thing is up till now i have been programming pretty pointless learning examples in just about every labguage under the sun in he last 6 years. The only REAL coding i have done is php & mysql scripting which dont suit this application.

i am using Ubuntu so i would like to code it for linux, however making it OS independant would be nice.
I have thought about how to go about this and i think spearating the code and the data is a must therefore methinks xml would be a good way to store the data.

However as for the coding, i am unsure which would be the best language to pick, i was thinking python but then that limits me to linux machines, dont it?

I know how i could do this - xml & python - but do u think you know a better way? as always i am open to all weird & wonderful ideas and suggestions.

It is a fairly simple program, store an entry with a date, title and message. Need to add edit and delete the entries. some nifty way to view and navigate the entries. A simple open and save file process.

First glance yeah php&mysql would be perfect, but remember i dont need client-server archetecture, this program just needs to run on the client, i think the main problem is going to be what that client is running as an OS, perhaps sticking to a linux scope would be best to start with but then things like java pop into my head.
any suggestions?
3 REPLIES
jabb0
Grafter

xml program

xml & xlst will do the storage and display beautifully methinks, but now i need to edit the xml file - any i deas on coding the interface appreciated.
N/A

xml program

In simple terms you are designing a RSS Feed. What you dont say is what features you want to have for the app. Most languages will now do XML as its the new in thing even the new MS Office will use XML.

You need to think of what you want the software to do. Search, add, edit,sort, do a report. Having decided on the things you want this may then rule out some software.

Flash is very good at this type of thing and will give you cross plateform an EXE and it will work on the web as well
jabb0
Grafter

xml program

Yeah i suppose you could look at it like that.
The thing is however that i dont really intend anyone else to be reading this.
I started out using openoffice, but soon realised that after a few years journalling it would become very unmanageable.

It dont have to be xml, that is just a nice thought - i could just as well use a text file to store the data.

I was kinda after the idea, that it woul display the title of each entry down the side with a main preview pane. Would make reading it alot easier.

You mention flash and that it produces an exe file - my linux box will just try to display that as text or something, but it defo wont execute. So unless i have got the wrong end of the stick thats out.

I was messing around with python - but i still need to learn mre on that language as things stand. My main problem is adding to my data file - what do i use to display the necessary form to fill an entry in this journal.

I can see that this sounds very similar to a blog - and basically it is one. However the major difference is that blogs are posted online for public viewing - i intend this to be quite the opposite, when i have my journal written it will be encrypted (twice) and saved to a SD media card and hidden. So no point in going along the online architecture route.

At the mo i have got tKinter class/module in python doin some basic stuff with windows - can "C" do this - i think i would rather be using that.

To be brutally honest this idea is prolly gonna get shelved for a while, my exams start next week... nuf said!

thanks for your reply