cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

word/outlook crashes

morgan2476
Grafter

word/outlook crashes

When I am typing for about 2 minutes in Word or Outlook my screen goes blank and I have to reboot my PC. At first I thought it was the keyboard so I tried another and the same thing happened. I have all the updates for office. I would be grateful if someone could throw some light on the matter.
8 REPLIES
holdtight
Grafter

word/outlook crashes

Do you get any error messages when this happens, is it just these two apps that this happens with or do you get any other system instabilty from time to time

What version of office is it and what operating system are you using ?
Community Veteran

word/outlook crashes

Does this happen when running any other apps or when the PC is not being used but is still on?

Try reinstalling or updating your graphics drivers.
morgan2476
Grafter

word/outlook crashes

No i don't get an error message - the screen just goes blank. It is ok when i am typing in any other program - it is office 2003 that i have. OS - win xp.
Community Veteran

word/outlook crashes

It sounds like your getting a stop error but XP is set to auto restart to you never see the blue screen error

if you right click my computer and press properties and press the advanced tab then press settings under the startup and recovery option and untick automatically restart, then if you get a blue screen stop error it will come up
morgan2476
Grafter

word/outlook crashes

I unticked the stop error, but the same thing happens, now the sreen goes blank when the pc is idle for any length of time. Is this a hardware or software problem?
N/A

word/outlook crashes

If you search your hard drive for normal.dot and delete them all it may fix the problem in word and outlook. It creates a new normal.dot if it cant find one. I have not known the error very often with the new ofice but all older version had theis known problem
madswitcher
Grafter

word/outlook crashes

Hi Morgan,

let's go for the basics (sorry if "grandmother" and "eggs" spring to mind)

Could it be that your machine is overheating and the thermal cutout on either the power supply or motherboard is activating?

Most motherboards have a utility in Windows for monitoring the CPU temperature, fans speeds etc.. If you don't have a Windows-based utility them have a look in the 'Health' section on the BIOS on reboot.. The CPU temperature should (idealy) be down in the 40 Celsius area.

Are the cabinet and CPU fans working?
Regards, Mike
morgan2476
Grafter

word/outlook crashes

Thanks for all the comments. The temp of the cpu and mb are ok. I have done a fresh install and everything seems to be ok now. thanks