cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

wireless repeaters

N/A

wireless repeaters

I have just set up a wireless network to enable my son to access the internet on his laptop in his bedroom. But it seems the signals are too weak to to reach that far, (two floors and very thick walls). I have worked out a route to get a signal to his laptop, and I would like to know whether a simple wireless router will do the job of a repeater/range extender? I am using all Netgear kit. As an aside, how come a cordless phone can reach all the way through 3 floors and a network can't? :roll:
7 REPLIES
N/A

wireless repeaters

can this be locked?
Community Veteran

Re: wireless repeaters

As an aside, how come a cordless phone can reach all the way through 3 floors and a network can't? :roll:

Probably to do with the frequency range used by the phone which I'm sure is a lot lower than than the wireless network at 2.4 gigahertz.

Why do you want the thread locking?Huh
N/A

wireless repeaters

I went back to the post to check the notify me box and it duplicated itself. Anyway, can I use a router? :?:
Community Veteran

wireless repeaters

I havn't come across a "repeater" (no doubt there may be one somewhere) but you could possibly possition a wireless router midway between floors so that it gives better coverage.
N/A

wireless repeaters

Thanks, when I said repeater I should have said relay.
N/A

wireless repeaters

they should be able to be configured to bridge the connection between each other, however surly the best idea would be to have the non laptops wired into the router (via a switch and cat5e cable) and then just have the wireless router near his room so he can use it that way?
N/A

wireless repeaters

You can buy or make signal boosters. Not the best way but you can easily gain 10% with a home-made Blue Peter type booster. All you need is card board and tin foil, or as this picture shows a tin plate.

Like I said its not the best way but if you have a spare 30 minutes it might be worth setting up one on the router and one on his computer and aiming them at one another the best you can. Whether it will work or not is down to luck, I made one out of tin foil and gained about 17% signal and that was through 1 fairly thick wall. Probably would of doubled that if I put one on the router aeriel aswell.