cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

wireless laptop

N/A

wireless laptop

I would like to purchase a wireless modem/router for connection to broadband. I will only be using a laptop and do not need to hook up to any other computers. Can I use this laptop wirelessly for the connection or do I have to have another computer that is connected with an ethernet cable. I know i need to get a wireless pcmcia card, but what connection or card do I need to wire up to the modem to configure it? or can this be done wirelessly.
Cheers
John
5 REPLIES
N/A

wireless laptop

All you need is the a wireless modem (or modem/router) and a wireless card in your pc.

The radio signal simply replaces the cable.

(Assuming I understood your question.).

Many wireless modem/routers also have standard cable ethernet connections as well, which you can also use for computers without a wireless card.
N/A

wireless laptop

When setting up the router, you will have to use a hard wired ethernet connection to the laptop. Once setup, you can then use wireless.
Also, if ever you update firmware on the router, you must use the hardwired ethernet connection.
N/A

wireless laptop

Thanks for the replies. So, as I now see it I need a wireless modem/router and a wireless pcmcia card. If I need a cable for the laptop to set up the connection, how does that connect to the laptop--do I need to buy anything else?
Sorry but I am a complete novice to this.
Community Veteran

wireless laptop

If your laptop does not already contain a network/lan port you will need to buy a PCMCIA lan card as well for the direct connection.
Highlighted
N/A

wireless laptop

Thanks very much for your help
Cheers
John