Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

windows xp hard disc install how to?

godricbj
Grafter

hi
done all the time, but i don't know how.

i want to put xp home on a ntfs hard disc and load it from there.

i do this all the time with win98....

boot disc on a: and then make c:\windows\options\cabs and then copy the win98 folder on d: to the c: location and run setup from dos... no probs and the registry remembers where everything is for plug and play.

but how do i do this for win xp home with no boot disc etc?
what is the default path in c: ?

looked on google and didn't find the answer.

many thanks for any help here.

godricbj
15 REPLIES
N/A

You are trying to do what Microsoft are trying to stop you doing. Installing hooky copies of XP on multiple machines without an original bootable CD.
It can be done, but I will leave that up to others who are not worried about software piracy.
Community Veteran

And I'll just point out that discussions about illegal use of items such as software aren't allowed here...

Thomas
godricbj
Grafter

not hurt or upset.... but NO

i have an oem disc of win xp home... it installs fine from cd

and

it is possible to install it by transfering the files from cd to hdd..

i just want to kown the proper way of doing it.

does anyone know?

thanks

godricbj
godricbj
Grafter

additionally and on refection,

i would be grateful,
if anyone thinks that what i am proposing is in any way illegal... please point this out.

this has not been a very friendly way to start the answers to what i believe to be a perfectly innocent post.

a comment from the modarator might help to get things back on track?

many thanks

godricbj
N/A

I appologise if my assumption was wrong, but it did sound as if you didn't have an original or OEM disk by the comment :-
"but how do i do this for win xp home with no boot disc etc? "
Of course if you have an original XP disk and serial number for one machine, you are doing nothing wrong by putting the cabs on the HD. If you sell the machine, you are supposed to sell the CD with it.
Which is another point entirely, with retail outlets selling PC's with OS's installed but no CD's.
Anyway. I ramble. Retail outlets do it the same way as I have done it.
I installed from the CD and then copied the cabs to c:\windows\options\install and changed the environmental variables (install path) to point to this. This is only to stop the system from asking for the CD each time it has to restore or install an operating system file.

I have not tried to install directly from the hard disk.
Community Veteran

additionally and on refection,

i would be grateful,
if anyone thinks that what i am proposing is in any way illegal... please point this out.

this has not been a very friendly way to start the answers to what i believe to be a perfectly innocent post.

a comment from the modarator might help to get things back on track?

many thanks

godricbj

I wasn't accusing you discussing something that was illegal... I couldn't tell if you were or not to be honest. Smiley I was just making clear that if you did have illegal intentions, the thread wouldn't survive very long. Unfortunately, software piracy is a very hot topic with companies such as Microsoft, and there have been cases where the owners of a forum have been sued for allowing discussions of how to copy software to take place.

Thomas
godricbj
Grafter

many thanks for your understanding on this matter.

i am sorry if i confused... i men't no floppy boot disc.

there is mention on microsoft.com of a floppy download to overcome the problem of not being able to make the cdrom bootable on some old bios motherboards... a set of drivers like in win98 boot floppy. i wonder if i can make directories and copy with these.

if i use a win98se boot floppy with c: as ntfs, i can't see it.... presumably because that boot system only supports FATon the hdd.

i can see that i might format C: as fat32... copy the files to C:\.... \install, and then use partition magic to convert to ntfs.... all seems messy... but would work.

once that is done, running a copy of setup.exe for the i386 folder works fine.

in your version it seems...
1. boot from cd and install... which i can do.
2. copy i386 to install folder and run from hdd?

or are you able to do it another way using "environmental variables"

i am not sure what you mean here.

as ever... any help and clariffication gratefully recieved

many thanks

godricbj

ps. pc due to go to client monday... hence panic.
N/A

There is a "floppy" boot system that you can download, but it is just over 4Mb big and is not a simple boot floppy.
I would think, your thought of copying the cabs to a FAT32 drive, installing and then converting to ntfs with Partition Magic or similar would be the simplest.

Personally, I stick with Fat32, as I have multiboot systems of Win98, Linux, DOS (yes Dos), and with Fat32 can access all drives (bar Linux from Win)
godricbj
Grafter

so much to learn.... so little time.

may i recommend this excellent link

www.petri.co.il/install_windows_xp_pro.htm

and thank all for their help

godricbj
N/A

http://www.bootdisk.com/ may be of interest.
N/A

You can get XP boot disks from
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=E8FE6868-6E4F-471C-B455-BD5A...

If you install on a fat32 you can use xp its self to convert it to ntfs simple open a command window and type convert c: /fs:ntfs but this can give a fragmented mtf table.
N/A

A bit OT I know, since OP can boot from CDROM, but for those that cannot due to BIOS limitations or conflicts, and get really tired of how long in takes to set up using all those floppies:
Smart Boot Manager will allow you to boot from your CDROM.
It can be installed on a floppy or HDD.
wandelaar
Grafter

Another option is to make a 4.5Gb FAT32 partition on your hard drive and copy the xp cabs to there.

You could them boot from a win98 floppy which would only see the FAT32 partition and install / upgrade winXP from there.

Obviously only on the one machine though.

Regards

Dave
N/A

NTFS man its the way forward dont be afraid................let go................use the force